Author Topic: Need for a good collection management tool?  (Read 7440 times)

mumbapuri

Re: Need for a good collection management tool?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 06:25:59 PM »
Some dealers sort their lists by KM numbers,

Out of sheer curiosity, can there be any different referencing points instead of KM? Not that I have anything against it, they are great, however as was rightly pointed out to me sometime back, they do miss a lot on India and BI coin variety.

And if you look at the starter of the thread (from his website) he is mainly into BI.

Maybe a dumb question, but is there a referencing no from Priedmore or some other authoritative guides for BI besides KM?

On the db front
One advantage of excel is that it can be stored online (dropbox, g drive, sky etc) and still opened from online storage using an intelligent device. I can think of this being advantageous if one is buying coins from dealers, fairs(something is nowdays happening a lot in India). Though on second thoughts I doubt whether the dealers have a logical pricing :)

Pivot is what even i second to PP. works like a magic wand :)

Regards,

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
Re: Need for a good collection management tool?
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 08:03:25 PM »
Sorry, have been busy so didn't get time to follow up on this post. 

It is in fact desirable to have the capability to have multiple catalog numbers in a database; I sort my collection by Pridmore number.  Also having it online will eliminate the need for excel.  Once could simply access their entire list from a smartphone.  Some flexibility with display options would let the users choose between a concise view (fewer chosen columns) vs. full view (all columns).  That would be ideal.  Excel has advantages, but needs considerable customization to do what one wants. 

Out of sheer curiosity, can there be any different referencing points instead of KM? Not that I have anything against it, they are great, however as was rightly pointed out to me sometime back, they do miss a lot on India and BI coin variety.
Maybe a dumb question, but is there a referencing no from Priedmore or some other authoritative guides for BI besides KM?

Pridmore is the reigning authority on British India coins: Presidency and Uniform.  Recently, Paul Stevens has authored an excellent work on Bengal Presidency coins.  He also has a book on Uniform Coinage which I haven't had time to look through.  Paul Stevens is expected to release books on Madras and Bombay Presidencies, which build up on the works by Pridmore. 

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=84649
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.