Author Topic: Fiji coin reforms  (Read 4750 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Fiji coin reforms
« on: September 12, 2008, 04:17:47 PM »
Our member Pabitra Saha reports:

The Reserve Bank of Fiji launched a national awareness campaign on Thursday promoting upcoming changes to Fijiís coinage structure.

Deputy Governor Mr. Sada Reddy said the nationís smallest denominated coins, the 1 cent and 2 cent, would be withdrawn from circulation when stocks run out. Reddy also indicated the Reserve Bank would officially pull them from circulation beginning on October 13, 2008.

In further coinage changes, Fiji will create five new coins that are smaller, lighter and composed of less expensive metals.

With the help of the Royal Canadian Mint and starting in January with new issues, the following coins will be affected:

5 cent
10 cent
20 cent
50 cent
$1
According to a Reserve Bank statement, the changes will save Fiji millions of dollars.

The elimination of the 1 and 2-cent coins will result in rounding of cash transactions to the nearest 5 cents.
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

Re: Fiji coin reforms
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 08:39:52 PM »
I hope the old coins stay in circulation for a while - I have a couple of bags full that I was hoping to take with me to spend on a visit in June next year!!!!  Hopefully the RBF will still redeem them, anyway ...

BC Numismatics

Fiji coin reforms.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 01:46:34 AM »
Martin,
 John Eccles loves going to Fiji,not just to buy banknotes & coins.He also goes over there to buy Fijian postal notes.In early 2006,he was also able to buy some British Postal Orders there.

He has driven along the southern route from Nadi to Suva,& stopped off at every post office on the way.That way,he was able to get some numismatic items.

The Reserve Bank of Fiji will still take back the old coins,or better still,go & see John,as he will be happy to buy them off you.

Fiji has not had a 2c. coin since 2001,but the last 1c. coins are dated 2006.

I'd gladly be happy to get the new coins for my collection.

Aidan.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 10:50:29 PM »
Bank to unveil new coins
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 Update: 3:15PM

The Reserve Bank of Fiji will officially launch the nations modernised coin series tomorrow.

The event will unveil new and improved design five cents, 10 cents, 20 cents, 50 cents and one dollar coins.

According to RBF, the new coins will be nine per cent smaller, 21 per cent thinner, 43 per cent lighter, shinier, durable and cheaper to make.

Source: Fiji Times
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

Fiji coin reforms.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 10:53:08 PM »
Peter,
  I'll have a look at http://www.rbf.gov.fj to see what's new on there.

Aidan.

translateltd

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 05:13:32 AM »
Here 's the full press release:

They have the column headings for diameter, thickness and weight the wrong way round on the last page, before anyone starts wondering about a coin that's 31.51 mm thick and weighs 2.48 g!

« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 12:50:56 PM by Figleaf »

BC Numismatics

Fiji coin reforms.
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 09:08:32 PM »
Here 's the full press release:

They have the column headings for diameter, thickness and weight the wrong way round on the last page, before anyone starts wondering about a coin that's 31.51 mm thick and weighs 2.48 g!

Martin,
  That kind of reminds me of the Tristan da Cunha & Stoltenhoff Island 2008 coins,whose 1/2p.,1p.,& 2p. coins are quite small,but also quite thick in terms of their size.

Seriously,you will have a 2 month period in which both the old & new Fijian coins will still be legal tender.It is surprising that the 5c. coin is being retained,albeit,changed,& that the $1 coin is also being changed.That is in contrast to the New Zealand situation,where the old coins,including the 5c. coin were pulled from circulation,but neither the $1 or $2 coins were even considered for changing.

Aidan.

BC Numismatics

Delay in introducing the new Fijian coins.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 09:12:01 AM »
There has been a delay in introducing the new Fijian coins.Have a read here; .

Aidan.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 12:23:41 PM by Figleaf »

BC Numismatics

Fiji coin reforms.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 11:50:28 AM »
Peter,
  Why is a grey square with a white square & a red 'x' showing up,instead of a link to that P.D.F. document that I posted in relation to the delay in issuing the new Fijian coins?

Aidan.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 12:19:41 PM »
Probably because the Fiji server was offline when you looked. It looks good again today. This is the disadvantage of embedding: if the link doesn't work, the picture will not show. We have only been running a year and yet, older posts are already showing dead outside links.

Peter

BC Numismatics

Fiji coin reforms.
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 08:48:45 AM »
I've been informed that all the new Fijian coins are coming out this week,except for the new $1 coin.I am not sure when the new $1 coin is coming out.

Aidan.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 04:49:56 AM by <k> »