Author Topic: Methodically storing/ displaying encapsulated Coins  (Read 2948 times)

paisepagal

Methodically storing/ displaying encapsulated Coins
« on: February 12, 2013, 06:00:57 AM »
Hi All,

I have just placed an order for a coin case from Leuchturm that can hold 120x €10 euro coins in capsules.... The price seems pretty reasonable @ 30€. Each shelf is velvet lined and the case looks pretty nigfty imo. I've never seen a similar offering here in Bombay.

My question, does any one have other suggestions how best to organise encapsuled coins ?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:27:24 PM by paisepagal »

Offline @josephjk

• Honorary Member
Re: Methodically storing Coins-in-Capsules
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 09:29:33 AM »
I have space issues so I use these...but they are not good for display.......

http://www.air-tites.com/cap-tube-coin-holders.htm#.URn9QR1EGCc

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Methodically storing Coins-in-Capsules
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 11:04:28 AM »
This concerns the case and tablets, not the capsules. Large amounts are made in China. They turn up in "fire sales" and special offers by ultra-cheap shops at about €15. If your coins are encapsulated (Leuchtturm is a good brand), fine, but beware of putting in coins without protection until you have tested the material over a number of years.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

paisepagal

Re: Methodically storing/ displaying encapsulated Coins
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 02:32:42 PM »
Yes the headline is misleading and so I have corrected it. I have a lot of euro coins which I get directly from the mint/ bank in capsules (so no issues with Chinese sub par products)... But how to store them neatly has always been a problem... I've seen coin draws too ... Maybe I will consider one of those for display purposes

Joseph, those bottles are a decent enough stop ga arrangement, but at some point, easy display will become an issue for you too  :D

Offline @josephjk

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 02:41:41 PM »
Yep no possibility of display with coin tubes. Your coin case is the way to go but I'm way too cheap..... ;D

paisepagal

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 02:48:31 PM »
Yep no possibility of display with coin tubes. Your coin case is the way to go but I'm way too cheap..... ;D

Hehe , conjusgiri to the max in Texas too I see  ;D ... Luckily enough you can look for a variety of cheaper options. Over here, as you well know, the buildings are getting taller, costa coffee is now at at every corner, but we just can't get the basic stuff !  >:( :(

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
Paisepagal.  Hello!

I like your coin display case. Very attractive and seems like an excellent way to display 1 "layer" at a time, as well as supply safe storage. For my collection, I use Certified Coin Pages made by Eagle. 9 "slabs" fit in a page, and pages fit inside a standard 3 ring binder. (You don't need to buy the EAGLE notebooks, any standard 3 hole notebook (binder) will do).  You can get 4 or more pages in a binder, depending on thickness of the binder. Pages are overpriced at about $4.50 each, but you can get a bit of a discount at Brooklyngalleries.com. I don't know if they ship internationally, however. Below is another site where they are sold and you can get a photo of how they look.

Good luck. I have almost all of my collection in Eagle 2x2 holders rigid plastic holders and the pages that they fit, and the Eagle Certified Coin Pages. I love the entire line. Also, for small slabs, they even make "inserts" to put around them so they stay firmly in place in the slab pages.

Hope this is helpful.  All the best.   Alan   Massachusetts

http://www.coinsupplystore.com/eagle-blank-page-slab.html
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 02:07:20 AM by alglasser »

paisepagal

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 12:54:44 PM »
Many thanks Alan.... I dont have any slabbed coins, but that album is indeed interesting... The website seems mostly geared towards US collections (obviously!) .... But there is a box for proof sets which has caught my eye .... I have been collecting the beautiful quarters and presidents in the proof casing, so such a box would be very useful for neat stacking!

I'll get the leuchturm case next week and I'll take a photo of how it actually looks, rather than the website pic...

Which brings my question.... Is lighthouse and leuchturm the same company ? They translate to the same thing ...

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 02:18:11 AM »
I'll look forward to the photo, paisepagal.   Alan

paisepagal

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 02:42:11 PM »
Alan,

The coin case is here ! And it's even better that I expected... It looks very smart... I'll put a pic tomorrow if I can find the time

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 03:04:27 PM »
Hello Paisepagal. So glad the coin case arrived and that you are pleased with it. I'll look forward to the pictures.

Alan

paisepagal

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 07:07:48 AM »
Pic as promised...Unfortunately, I've had to reduce it to 65kb.... I need to figure out an easy place for upload and then embedding

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 04:12:40 PM »
Good morning (?) Paisepagal. Thanks so much for the photo. It is a very impressive and solid looking coin case. May I ask how may levels of storage "shelves" are in the case and does it lock?  I hope the case serves you well for MANY years...and you fill it quickly with beautiful coins!!! Many thanks.

Alan

paisepagal

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 05:48:31 PM »
It is quarter past ten here in pleasant weather Bombay  :) ... Just said bye to my friends after a nice rooftop dinner and drinks ! Great time for an old monk  8)

There are 6 shelves... Each housing 20 coins... It comes with a key that works on an inbuilt lock system. So far I can only fill 2 shelves... But it will do for a couple years atleast I'm sure

Ashwin

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 06:12:52 PM »
Hello, Ashwin. For a moment I had a mental image of you, about 92 years old, hunting  in and around Bombay for interesting coins, wearing flowing red and yellow robes. I expected a photo of same when I clicked on the "Old Monk" link. NOW I really understand. I need a whole new mental picture.

The coin case sounds excellent...especially when I have to travel with coins. I will look into it. Thanks for sharing the information and photo.

Alan