Author Topic: PCGS reconsideration service  (Read 4592 times)

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
PCGS reconsideration service
« on: February 11, 2013, 04:54:05 PM »
Dear Collector & Dealer Friends

Greetings from Marudhar Arts, Bangalore !!!

PCGS, Professional Coin Grading Service, headquartered in the USA and with regional offices in Paris and Hong Kong, is coming to India for the first time.

With more than 25 million coins graded commanding a total value of over $2.7 billion. PCGS represents the industry standard in the third-party certification worldwide.

for more details visit www.pcgsasia.com

You can visit our counter and can explore the opportunity to get  your coins authenticated and graded with PCGS in the coming future by submitting them in India only. And could also directly speak to the PCGS representative with any  questions you may have.

in the India's Most Prestigious & Happening Numismatic and Philatelic  Event
i.e.
4th National Numismatic Exhibition
which will held on  15th, 16th & 17th February

at

The Bell Hotel
#88, Next to City Railway Station,
Bangalore

Source: Email sent by Marudhar Arts

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
Re: PCGS reconsideration service
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 06:18:42 PM »
Interesting to get them here ... grading would be more easy for quite a few ...
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline alglasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 10:31:09 PM »
Hello, Abhay. if I had to select a certifying company for my coins, PCGS would top the list. I hope you have many beneficial experiences with your collecting and PCGS. May I ask, how is pricing for PCGS certification in India? 

Alan   MA

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 04:23:48 PM »
Read Peter's reply here.

My favorite (and the most important) part of the reply was:

In that sense, and in the sense that "professional graders" encourage you to lose faith in your own capacities and to look at your collection as an investment, the "professional slabber" is detrimental to the hobby.

Couldn't agree more with Peter!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

paisepagal

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 07:12:34 PM »
I think the practical evidence points to these guys doing very well in India nothwithstanding all the worthwhile points Peter mentions... But to quote his comments on a very European focus to this context is such a flawed exercise.
More savvy Indian collectors have always looked to the US for information to numismatics and with the rising clout of the investor lot, pcgs is filling the right space which I suspect they will take over and expand from NGS (Rajgor has indeed met with some if not great success in these last couple years)

I don't subscribe to this slabbing concept because I don't have anything worthwhile to do it.. So I'm just happy to sit back and see if my instinct does come through... It won't particularly the subset that I fall under

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 08:08:54 PM »
Read Peter's reply here.

My favorite (and the most important) part of the reply was:

Couldn't agree more with Peter!

Aditya

And I say I can't disagree more. When you buy a new car it doesn't mean you forget how to walk.  ;D
But yes professional grading cannot be used as a crutch.

Offline alglasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 11:29:11 PM »
I was most decidedly unimpressed with the U Tube video attached in one of the replies to this topic. I am very glad I watched it. What caught me most by surprise was the statement that (paraphrase) "collectors will recognize the difference between a regular uncirculated piece and a high grade uncirculated coin in a PCGS capsule"...or something to that effect. Did he really say that?? I would hope that any collector with some degree of experience (except perhaps a beginner or young collector) would be able to examine 2 examples of a same design coin and be able to recognize which is the "better" of the 2. Of course, for the "investor", the certification may give SOME degree of confidence that the coin is hopefully, reasonably close to being accurately graded if certified.

I say "reasonably close" because, as I believe Peter suggested, resubmissions  are a much too frequent occurance and will continue until a boarderline coin gets the upper grade. (I wonder what this does to the statistics of certified coins in each grade??) I mentioned in a previous post that PCGS slabs of American coins often carry a premium if the labels are green instead of blue (green labels are earlier certification labels). Gradeflation!! I wonder what would happen if I "cracked out" some of my green label PCGS coins and resubmitted them...would they come back with a higher grade? What would happen if I DIDN'T crack out my green label coins and resubmitted them? I expect that they would not be regraded at all. Teletrade.com I believe has a section exclusively for "Green label PCGS coins". It would be fascinating to have time to compare like coins with like grades and see what the price difference is between Green and Blue labels. There should be NO DIFFERENCE between accurately graded, same grade coins with green OR blue labels!

I used to be a slab nut...especially when building my early U.S. type set. I only bought certified pieces and had many others slabbed by PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG and SEGS (the later turned to be a very costly disaster!!) Today, I don't buy any more U.S. material so I can't judge how accurate I think the current grading is. If I were to buy certified coins now..U.S., foreign or whatever...it would be because I could not find a nice RAW example or there was a concern about a coin I was interested in being a copy. Goodness knows there are enough of these "out there". I would also consider having a coin certified if I was unable to identify a potentially rare coin or rare variety. Certification also seems to do a very good job in preserving coins for future generations. Finally, for insurance purposes, it's helpful to have a "slab number" for listing a particularly valuable piece (of which I have only precious few!!!). I guess time will tell if these merits make the whole "slab business" worth it to the hobby. So, certification can have merit in some circumstances.

I am befriending a new collector, 17 years old...and he has decided to zero in on Franklin U.S. Half Dollars (1948-1963). He wants to build a complete set in "MS 63" or higher. I gave him a copy of the ANA (American Numismatic Association) grading book to help him out but in a brief bit of research, I learned that certified examples can be had for often very little premium over RAW in the same grade. As a new collector, he does not have the skill yet to determine an MS-62 from a 63...and so on...let alone an AU 55 or 58 from an MS 60. He works hard for his coin money and I didn't want him to buy badly for his first goal. I recommended PCGS certified coins for his collection. Liklihood is that grading of these non-rare pieces would be close to or "right on" accurate when certified. No guarantees of course. (As a side note, I also suggested to buy only fully lustrous pieces with "Full Bell Lines" as these seem to carry a bit of added demand in the collecting community.)

(On a tangent...I wonder if these tiny distinctions in U.S. coinage grades really make a difference in the long run. It is of little interest to me if a Mercury Dime has "full lines" in the torch, or a Jefferson Nickel has full steps....
Full head" Standing Liberty Quarter Dollars I think I can appreciate as opposed to "flat head" coins, however. I am curious...do other nationalities have this obsession with the minute details on their coins as here in the States or are these tiny distinctions also just a boon to the Slabbers?)

So I have come full circle ...from an absloute die hard slab lover to a collector who sees some limited
usefulness to certification. I think the "crack out for a higher grade" game did me in (and now we have to deal with counterfeit slabs too I hear). I miss the days of coin shops where honest dealers would grade to the best of their ability and they could be trusted. Many still can...but I wouldn't "bet the farm" on it.   Alan 

akona20

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 11:36:54 PM »
I have found Marudhar Arts to be good people to work with in a few small areas that I have done it.

I have been somewhat bemused by the recent displays of bright shiney silver rupess that are hundreds of years old. It seems somewhat that gloss and glitz has taken the place of authticity in appearance. This I believe is driven by the bright and shiney (read cleaned) appearance of the more modern machine made coinage. 

Again I also note (yes it is repeated ad nausem I know) that Mughal Rupess have been slabbed in America when details of a full attribution are missing. Prettiness over substance rules here. Or perhaps the slabbers don't understand what they are actually slabbing.

Offline Harpagon Coins

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 11:20:19 AM »
Hello guys!

Does anyone have experience with the reconsideration service offered by PCGS.

Is there any chance that on a grossly, badly graded coin say MS62, they (TPG) would regrade it MS65/66, or is this highly unlikely to happen?

If anyone has experience or insight into this kind of thing I'd really appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance,

Roman

Offline JoeYuk

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 11:43:47 PM »
I have had 1 or 2 coins out of 10 go up 1 grade like a ms63 to ms64 . 
I have also seen other pedigreed coins go from xf45 to au53 or 55 over
many years and multiple submissions.  I think they call it gradeflation.
People  sometimes buy coins in older styled holders figuring it was
graded some time ago and standards have changed.

This is why althou I prefer graded coins the number on the slab is not
that important because it can change one day to the next.  If the coin
is nice I don't care what they call it.