Author Topic: Salon Du Phonographe  (Read 17374 times)

Offline redwine

• liaison officer
  • Honorary Member
  • Too old to care.
Re: Salon Du Phonographe
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2017, 08:30:31 AM »
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2017, 08:51:14 AM »
Just one more to seek of those at that link!

This one:
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline redwine

• liaison officer
  • Honorary Member
  • Too old to care.
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2017, 09:10:18 AM »
Yes it's very nice. That'll be tricky!! ;) ;D

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2017, 01:21:18 AM »
Now at last I have one of the versions showing the address as 26 BD des Italiens

nickel 22.7mm

There is yet another that reads PATHEPHONE rather than PHONOGRAPHE
Malcolm

Offline redwine

• liaison officer
  • Honorary Member
  • Too old to care.
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2017, 06:08:07 AM »
Nice one Mal!  8)

Offline Henk

« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2017, 03:13:51 PM »
I did a bit of research on the Salon du Pathephone in Amsterdam. This is what I found:

In several newspapers on Friday 3 February 1911 there was an advertisement announcing that on Saturday 4 February 1911, at 16:00 a Salon due Pathéphone would be opened at Reguliersbreestraat  43 in Amsterdam. In the Amsterdam Newspaper "Het Nieuws van den Dag: Kleine Courant" of that same day the following account of this Salon appeared (I provide an English translation):
In the Reguliersbreestraat something new can be seen. The well-known Parisian firm Pathé Frères has rebuilt its phonograph shop into a  "Salon du Pathéphone", which has been set up using the latest inventions. Entering the salon, one asks at a counter for a token for which 5 cents has to be paid. Then one takes a seat into one of the armchairs along the walls.  There is a program ready for each visitor with a few thousand pieces of music in it. When the number of the desired piece is chosen, this number is entered on a number plate that is placed against the wall. This can be done quickly with a few simple turning movements. Then the token is put into the slot, the microphone is held against the ears and soon one can enjoy the wonderful singing of a famous artist, of an excellent orchestra playing or a cheerful march. So one can enjoy famous operas and operettas, or even the voices of world famous people.
This new Pathé invention, which has great success in Paris and in Brussels, is expected to attract visitors here as well. The most remarkable thing is that people do not see anything of the phonographs. The salon provides the appearance of a large telephoning agency, where all kinds of people are telephoning.

The original opening times were from 14:00 to 23:30 (I assume this was on each day of the week). later that year the salon opened earlier, at 12 noon.

Early March 1911 Newspaper advertisements appear offering an Pathéphone Player, including 20 (28 cm) records with 40 different pieces of music for fl 84,00 or 24 monthly installments of fl 3,50. To be had at the same address. In early 1912 the price for cash payment was reduced by 10% while buyers then could also choose the music they wanted. There were two types of record, a small 28 cm one for fl 2,00 and a larger, 35 cm one, at fl 2,50.

The last ad advertising the salon is from 19 February 1912. in an ad of 11 march that year the name is changed into Fonograaf Pathé and there is no more mention of a Salon. Only the Phonograph trade business remains at the address Reguliersbreestraat 43. So the Salon du Pathéphone in Amsterdam existed only for little over a year (Feb 1911 - Mar 1912). No other Pathéphone Salon tokens are known from the Netherlands (only the Amsterdam piece is listed in the Kooij Catalog). Also I could not find any advertisements for other such Salons. Due to the short span of time the Amsterdam Salon was in operation it is of course unlikely that other Salons would have been started.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2017, 09:36:01 PM »
That is great information which I have difficulty finding without the ability to read Dutch!

See Reply #57 where I had found they existed at an earlier address only moving to Reguliersbreestraat in 1911.

I believe the records you listened to at the Salons were cylinder records whereas the records they began selling were the flat discs which operated from the centre outwards with the vertical cut recording [Hill and Dale]
Malcolm

Offline Henk

« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2017, 10:00:08 PM »
The records they sold were disks. I did not find any mention of whether they used disks or cylinders in their Amsterdam Salon. As the tokens show a disk and these also were advertised as THE modern system I am inclined to think that disks were used in the Salons.

I have added the advertisment for the opening as it appeared in the "Algemeen Handelsblad" of Friday 03-Feb-1911

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2017, 10:36:28 PM »

The earlier tokens showed the cylinders, the tokens were changed later when they began making discs.

Amsterdam salon may have began after the discs were introduced.

Maybe you can find more information on their previous address at Leidsestraat 11 ???
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2017, 10:42:47 PM »
Google translate (edited) reads the advert as:

Next SATURDAY at 4 o'clock the most famous Artists of the World in the field of SONG and MUSIC will be heard in the SALON DU PATHÉPHONE, REGULIERSBREESTRAAT Nr. 43

This new invention Pathé, unknown in Holland, which already has such great success in its "SALONS DU PATHEPHONE" in Paris and Brussels, will undoubtedly be as welcome with the Dutch public as it was with the French and Belgian public.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:54:59 PM by Figleaf »
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2017, 10:40:49 AM »
I found an old listing on the Hungarian site Vatera for the Pathefon Koncert Terem Budapest token. I managed to register and send a message to the seller but haven't had a response. With my lack of Hungarian language its next to impossible to find the token again!

I did however download the image.  8)
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2017, 11:00:59 AM »
I managed to get back to it so I shall save the link and I reposted to seller lets hope he replies.  ::)
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2018, 09:45:20 PM »
I was outbid on the Amsterdam version. (it made Eur106)
Malcolm

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2018, 10:21:54 PM »
The next one will be yours for a fraction of that price. Meanwhile, a picture is worth 1000 words.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 11:20:58 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.