Author Topic: Unknown Certification company  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
Unknown Certification company
« on: January 22, 2013, 04:53:13 PM »
Hello, everyone. I am hoping someone can tell me a bit about PCG certification company. Would anyone know where the company is located or have any thoughts on reputation. (I hope I can ask that.) I have a couple of pieces from them and am just curious who they are.

If it is of any interest, this coin is unlisted in the new 7th edition of Standard Catalog of World Coins 2001-Present or Numismaster. I also have the 20 Euro piece of similar design of 2006 and it also is unlisted.

Many thanks...and have a terrific day/evening.
Alan   Massachusetts

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
Re: Unknown Certification company
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 10:18:52 PM »
http://www.cointalk.com/t111874-2/check this lnk to another coin forum, the key reply is near the bottom on the thread.

Bruce

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 10:22:51 PM »
Hmm, I wonder who "Ma Al" is, over there. ;)

As for the catalog numbers, the Schön lists the quarter euro as #308 and KM #866. The €20 silver is S#309, KM#867, and the €10 gold would be S#310, KM#868.

Christian

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 10:28:27 PM »
No idea, I personally don't trust grading services and hate slabbing. You can buy your own slabs if that is your perferred storage method. I prefer the Cointain type storage, as the can be opened. True that have no method of holding the info sheet, bu put inside a 2x2 con flip they are good.

Bruce

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 05:39:16 PM »
Hello, Christian and Bruce.

Christian. Thanks for the KM numbers. I will enter them in my inventory so it is up to date.

Bruce, I'm afraid I am somewhat (maybe 90%) in agreement with you about slabs...especially lesser known...such as PCG. I am working with a young collector from my old stomping grounds in Rhode Island...ny neighbor's grandson...great kid...16 years old and passionate collector but just learning the ropes. Anyway, I took him to a coin shop (the only one in our time zone I think!!!...) and the dealer, VERY nice guy, spent time talking to the YC (Matthew). Slabs came up and like me...he, the dealer, is also having a nightmare experience with a valuable piece that is still being kicked around by the certifiers. Very disheartining. I wonder how much of that goes on in "real life"...he's not "cracking out" for a better grade...authenticity seems to be the issue. I can certainly relate...BIGTIME!!!

Anyway, Matthew was asking about slabs (and pitfalls) so I showed him 2 coins I bought years ago for almost no money on E-Bay specifically as a learning experience. (And yesterday I had the opportunity to share the experience which made it worthwhile). Please see photos/grades below. I don't quite know why one is "sideways"...maybe in my next life I'll learn something about photography....or not... Anyway...all I can say is that the "grading" is comical.

Finally, Bruce. I went to the link you posted on CoinTalk (I am a member but I need to get back into that board...MY ID info was still active.) I will try to find the thread when I go back in to CoinTalk and then I'll answer you. I'm curious about the Morgan Silver Dollar with the deformed eagle...or whatever.

So this is RI AL...now MA AL signing off for now. Thanks for the notes. This is so darned much fun!!! To bad I am a slave to the stove today...and my wife...I'm making the creamed potatoes, cinnamon buns and fudge for tomorrow.....a woman's work is never done...and if my wife reads that I said THAT...I'll be on the platter instead of the Ham.

For those that observe, Happy Easter...Happy Passover. 

Alan (RI AL now MA AL)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 10:59:40 PM »
I don't collect moderns, although I have some. the problems with slabs [Let the debate begin....hee hee] are as follows [personal view]
1, no way to inspect the coin, up close
2. Often wrong grade or identification - especially among ancients
3. Vastly over priced.
4. Often cleaned before slabbing

As i said, when I use them, I use the cointains with their foam spacers, ot their exact fits, easy to open but crystal clear .

Bruce

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 11:24:19 PM »
Hello again, Bruce.

I do understand your disdain of slabs. Seems that everytime I do some reading or talk to other collectors or dealers, (not to mention here on the BB) I hear another horror story. Today on E-Bay I saw a coin with PCGS certification and a "green label" illustrated with the word "upgrade???" in the listing. I have heard a zillion times about green labels having a good possibility of upgrading. I have no plans to do the "crack out" game with mine...and a good portion of my early U.S. type coins are in green labels. Not because I searched them out...but because they were the "current color" labels when I was in my "must be certified" craze. Maybe it will pay off when I sell...but I have no plans to do it now...so the coins will keep their green slabs. I think nice, accurately graded (???) green label coins are much preferable to grade inflated "blue label" coins. What a gimmick! No thanks!

I did use cointains for a period of about 2 years...with the foam inserts and without...depending of course on the coin going in the Cointain. I liked them...sort of...they did keep the coins safe and secure and airproof (?) and proivided a great view of the coin...but I just never found a way that I liked to display them. Their use did make for some real fat 2x2 cardboard holders. So...I moved on (if not up) to Eagle Coin Holders which I still use. They are pricy at about 75 cents U.S. per holder and the 20 pocket pages are...to say it bluntly...a rip off at $4.50 or so each. Still...it's my preferred storage method. When the pages start to crack (usually a few years), I have become quite adept at creative application of Scotch Tape in strategic places. My Cointains are now somewhere in Texas as I just mailed them with some world coins to a collector friend from India who will be in Texas this coming summer. I hope he enjoys them. Good product to be sure. He's not expecting them; it's a bit of a surprise...unless he reads this... :-\ 

Alan

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 05:14:21 AM »
Duhhh, I must be loosing it. Al , you sent me a bunch of cointains a couple years ago. I still have many of them. They are air tight by the way, or so tight it would take a very extended submersion time to allow water into the container.

Bruce

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 02:57:53 PM »
Good morning, Bruce.

Yes, I recall sending holders. I believe some of them were cointains but I don't remember the specifics. I still had some coins in additional holders and when I converted THEM over to Eagle holders, I held on to them...until I met the India collector...who will be visiting Texas. So the collector friend in India will be visiting Texas and getting different types of holders from Massachusetts. See...it's simple... ???.

Alan ;D

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 03:43:11 PM »
 :P Well as simple as it ever gets....

Bruce