Author Topic: Holiday guide - museums  (Read 68729 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Holiday guide - museums
« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2016, 12:53:27 PM »
Superb coins. Glad to hear they do such an important exhibition. However, my agenda would be different from that of the Georgian government. They want to promote a national society (fine with me) and perhaps nationalism (not good, us versus them, we already have to much of that). I hope people will get interested in coins, or at least history and take their cultural inheritance seriously, rather than squander it on money.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Holiday guide - museums
« Reply #166 on: March 08, 2016, 06:18:42 AM »
I notice that the article (and thus, the images) has been removed by Agenda (the source). Fortunately, I have the back-up of images on photobucket (thanks to their mobile app). I shall amend my previous post later this week...Till then, bear with me. :)

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #167 on: March 08, 2016, 07:13:56 AM »
The article and images are still in place. ...at least I can still see them.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Holiday guide - museums
« Reply #168 on: March 08, 2016, 07:16:20 AM »
The article and images are still in place. ...for me at least.

Bingo! It's working for me too now!!! Good that's it's back, I'll still embed the pictures from my photobucket account later as a precaution.

Aditya

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2016, 11:56:58 PM »
A brand new "Money Museum" (Museu do Dinheiro) can now be visited in Lisbon. Here is the English version of its website:
http://www.museudodinheiro.pt/en/features

Have not been to the museum yet (surprise ;) ) so I cannot tell how it is. But here is Banco de Portugal's press release:
https://www.bportugal.pt/en-US/OBancoeoEurosistema/ComunicadoseNotasdeInformacao/Pages/combp20160419.aspx

Christian

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #170 on: April 27, 2016, 01:17:46 AM »
I see its only been open for a few days.

I like this Explore 360º feature that they have borrowed from the British museums larger one.
Malcolm

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #171 on: May 04, 2016, 07:58:59 AM »
The National Library of Belgium in Brussels hosts a special exhibition of dies and punches for Belgian coins in its general reading room. The exhibits have been acquired with a collection of 6000 pieces the Royal Mint has passed on the Royal Coin Cabinet, which is part of the Library. The exhibition will run from 26th April to 10th September.

The transaction may be another sign that the Belgian mint is in its death throes.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2016, 03:19:47 AM »
Members of the Australian Numismatic Society had a special private visit to the Sydney Masonic Museum recently, I have received the report this morning.

I was particularly impressed with this rather special penny that opens to reveal a Masonic emblem.
Malcolm

Offline natko

• Split, Croatia
« Reply #173 on: January 04, 2017, 08:57:56 PM »
Split Archeological Museum is a small one but has a pretty nice coin collection. Focused on the coins used in wider area of Split, since the Greek era, along with many examples of the rare locally minted coins since that time. Reportedly, they have 70000 coins in the archives but only the part is exhibited, with a representative example of a period, mint or ruler, mostly gold for the Romans. A drawback is that museum is over 100 years old and many coins were improperly cleaned in the 19th century, ruining the experience greatly. But, it can be a nice getaway from the summer sun if you're in the town more than a day. And only one of the three museums worth visiting anyway.

Here's a website (yeah, still from 1999, they're just as fast with returning coins that have been taken to imaging or whatever)  ::)
http://www.mdc.hr/split-arheoloski/eng/FS-numizmaticka.html

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #174 on: January 28, 2017, 10:58:11 PM »
The Currency Museum of the Bank of Japan houses the national currency collection.

Below are three postcards from the museum. The money tree (1863) is also pictured on a Japanese stamp. See here. There is what looks like a package of Obans and a decorated gold bar on the other postcards.

Peter

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #175 on: April 22, 2017, 02:54:42 PM »
Here are some numismatic highlights of a recent (April 2017) trip to Uzbekistan.

Tashkent: The national bank for foreign economic activity (NBU) maintains the Art Gallery of Uzbekistan, where you can find a full room with a mouth-watering collection of coins that circulated in what is now Uzbekistan. The exhibit is organised in tables, equipped with movable magnifying glasses, showing coins of successive periods in history, from earliest times on. In the centre is a table on current banknotes and coins. Lighting is magnificent, but labelling leaves much to be desired. There are more coins in NBU headquarters, but visits are by invitation only.

Samarqand: An impressive collection is in the private Regional Museum of Local Lore on 51, A.Jomiy Str. This museum is often neglected in official information and by tour operators, but it is well worth a visit.

Bukhara: The Ark has a concise collection of coins that pleases the eye of the advanced collector.

Khiva: Right next to the Khan's palace (Ark), a building has been devoted to minting activities in Khiva. Apart from a fine coin collection, there is a great fun style room, showing minters at work. The real mint is currently being excavated. The pictures show parts of the exposition: minters at work against the backdrop of a furnace with scales and adjustment tools; a die maker with a small anvil and a clamp; balance boxes, a small basin (for washing dies?) and die engraving tools. Three stylised coins used as wall decoration in the Khiva museum: a Greek Bactrian coin with Karoshti legend, a fantasy tamgha, possibly based on SK group 3, type 2 coins and a 2½ tenga 1337 struck in Khiva.

Kokhand: see here.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 11:57:40 PM by Figleaf »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #176 on: May 20, 2017, 12:02:31 AM »
The Museum of the Italian Mint (IPZS) can be visited again. It used to be closed except for visitors with some professional interest, I think. But now anybody can visit the mint museum in Rome. You still cannot simply walk in but have to sign up (minimum two days ahead) but admission is free. The website http://www.museozecca.ipzs.it/apertura.html currently lists the opening days and hours for the next three months (May/June/July) and provides some info about guided tours.

You can also have a look at the museum's collection here:
http://www.museozecca.ipzs.it/collezione/home.html

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #177 on: July 28, 2017, 04:36:57 PM »
Sweden's national collection is in the Myntkabinettet in Stockholm, right across the royal palace.

The Royal Coin Cabinet is about to be closed for two years. The last chance to see the exhibits will be on 20 August, thus in about four weeks. The Cabinet will then move to the Swedish History Museum, and open at that new site in spring 2019. See here:

http://www.myntkabinettet.se/english/the-royal-coin-cabinet-is-relocating

Also, you may have read about the theft at the coin cabinet back in April. (Or rather the news from April about the thefts in the past 20 years.) Two of the objects that were stolen can now be seen here:
http://www.coinsweekly.com/en/News/Update-to-Stockholm-coin-heist-first-pictures-of-stolen-objects/4?&id=4794

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Holiday guide - museums
« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2017, 02:37:06 PM »
British Museum exhibition to showcase communist currencies

Museum will mark 100th anniversary of Russian Revolution, with posters, medals and banknotes carrying ‘glorious designs’.

Mark Brown, Arts correspondent
Monday 14 August 2017 07.00 BST

They are banknotes that show cheerful farm workers, enthusiastic soldiers and committed intellectuals as well as foundries, factories, fields, dams, lorries, railways and guns – and they are as aesthetically pleasing as any of the world’s currencies, a new exhibition hopes to show.

The British Museum is to mark the 100th anniversary of the Russian Revolution by staging its first exhibition on communist currency.

There will be posters, medals, bonds, coins and banknotes that show bountiful agricultural productivity, major industrial progress and unmatched military prowess. “I think they are beautiful,” said the curator, Tom Hockenhull. “Especially compared to western notes of the same period, these are far nicer, far prettier.

“Even though the currencies were devalued and people were told they weren’t worth anything, the banknotes, in particular, carry some of the most glorious designs that have ever been committed to paper.”

Helped by money from the Art Fund, Hockenhull has been researching and acquiring communist currency to fill gaps in the museum’s extensive money collections.

Examples of notes on display will include a 1975 100-shilling note from Somalia, which shines light on what the state expected of women. (Everything.) It shows a woman holding a gun, a shovel and a baby. “It is saying to women you can do whatever you want, you can take on all these different roles, but you’ve still got to do all this,” said Hockenhull.

There will be a Yugoslavian banknote featuring the smiling, handsome epitome of a good, hardworking foundry worker, Arif Heralić.

Heralić was part of a group of workers photographed at their blast furnace workplace in Zenica in 1954. His face stood out and the heroic image of the father-of-11 was used on Yugoslavian banknotes for more than two decades. The true story of Heralić is rather less inspiring, in that he struggled with alcoholism and died penniless in 1971.

A 1980 50-yuan note from China shows the people leading the development of a modern China: a farmhand, an industrial worker and an intellectual.

The exhibition will explore how money worked under communism and its central conundrum. “Under communism, under Marxist theory, there should be no money,” said Hockenhull. “It is a social construct, it should not exist. But it is never abolished ... no state ever successfully eliminated it.”

No good Marxist would ever want a state with money but communist economies had it and the notes were so much more interesting than western ones. “It tends to follow – not always – that the most stable economies have the most boring notes, it is just the way it is,” said Hockenhull, pointing out that the US had not updated its dollar since 1962 and that it was not very different from the 1862 design.

“It is only when you have a different political agenda that you change things ... money had a different role under communism and therefore it had to look different.” A form of communism has been brought to about 20 countries around the world since 1917 and all had a currency.

Often the state’s contempt for its currency was overt. The British Museum display will include coins used in East Germany, made from aluminium and therefore absurdly light in weight to show how little value they were.

There will be a banknote from Cuba signed by the national bank president, Ernesto Guevara. He was so appalled at having to sign it he used his nickname, Che, as a way of signifying his contempt for money. “It was his two fingers to capitalism,” said Hockenhull.

Among the posters reproduced for the show will be a USSR advert for the state savings bank that avoids any mention of benefits, such as an interest rate, because the accounts were meant as a benefit to the state, not an individual.

A better way of rewarding people was with medals, which followed Stalin’s statement that the “Soviet people have mastered a new way of measuring the value of people … not in roubles, not in dollars [but] according to their heroic feats”.

One example in the show will be the Mother Heroine of the Soviet Union gold medal given to women who had 10 or more children.

Another will be an Order of Labour Glory medal issued by the USSR in Ukraine in 1985. Recipients of all three classes of the order also received a pension increase, priority on the state housing list, free public transport, a free annual pass to a sanatorium and one first-class round trip flight per year.

Hockenhull, the museum’s curator of modern currency, said it had proved a huge and rewarding subject to research. “It has been fascinating. I’m English – I grew up in a capitalist society. It has been a window into a completely different world and different way of looking at things.”

Source: The Guardian
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:08:28 AM by Bimat »

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Holiday guide - museums
« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2017, 02:39:28 PM »
The above exhibition will open on October 19, 2017, till March 18, 2018. Opening times: Daily, 10am – 5.30pm (Fri until 8.30pm). Closed on 24 – 26 Dec and 1 Jan. No entry fees.

Aditya