Author Topic: Holiday guide - museums  (Read 57939 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Holiday guide - museums
« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2016, 12:53:27 PM »
Superb coins. Glad to hear they do such an important exhibition. However, my agenda would be different from that of the Georgian government. They want to promote a national society (fine with me) and perhaps nationalism (not good, us versus them, we already have to much of that). I hope people will get interested in coins, or at least history and take their cultural inheritance seriously, rather than squander it on money.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Holiday guide - museums
« Reply #166 on: March 08, 2016, 06:18:42 AM »
I notice that the article (and thus, the images) has been removed by Agenda (the source). Fortunately, I have the back-up of images on photobucket (thanks to their mobile app). I shall amend my previous post later this week...Till then, bear with me. :)

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #167 on: March 08, 2016, 07:13:56 AM »
The article and images are still in place. ...at least I can still see them.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Holiday guide - museums
« Reply #168 on: March 08, 2016, 07:16:20 AM »
The article and images are still in place. ...for me at least.

Bingo! It's working for me too now!!! Good that's it's back, I'll still embed the pictures from my photobucket account later as a precaution.

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2016, 11:56:58 PM »
A brand new "Money Museum" (Museu do Dinheiro) can now be visited in Lisbon. Here is the English version of its website:
http://www.museudodinheiro.pt/en/features

Have not been to the museum yet (surprise ;) ) so I cannot tell how it is. But here is Banco de Portugal's press release:
https://www.bportugal.pt/en-US/OBancoeoEurosistema/ComunicadoseNotasdeInformacao/Pages/combp20160419.aspx

Christian

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #170 on: April 27, 2016, 01:17:46 AM »
I see its only been open for a few days.

I like this Explore 360 feature that they have borrowed from the British museums larger one.
Malcolm

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #171 on: May 04, 2016, 07:58:59 AM »
The National Library of Belgium in Brussels hosts a special exhibition of dies and punches for Belgian coins in its general reading room. The exhibits have been acquired with a collection of 6000 pieces the Royal Mint has passed on the Royal Coin Cabinet, which is part of the Library. The exhibition will run from 26th April to 10th September.

The transaction may be another sign that the Belgian mint is in its death throes.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2016, 03:19:47 AM »
Members of the Australian Numismatic Society had a special private visit to the Sydney Masonic Museum recently, I have received the report this morning.

I was particularly impressed with this rather special penny that opens to reveal a Masonic emblem.
Malcolm

Offline natko

• Split, Croatia
« Reply #173 on: January 04, 2017, 08:57:56 PM »
Split Archeological Museum is a small one but has a pretty nice coin collection. Focused on the coins used in wider area of Split, since the Greek era, along with many examples of the rare locally minted coins since that time. Reportedly, they have 70000 coins in the archives but only the part is exhibited, with a representative example of a period, mint or ruler, mostly gold for the Romans. A drawback is that museum is over 100 years old and many coins were improperly cleaned in the 19th century, ruining the experience greatly. But, it can be a nice getaway from the summer sun if you're in the town more than a day. And only one of the three museums worth visiting anyway.

Here's a website (yeah, still from 1999, they're just as fast with returning coins that have been taken to imaging or whatever)  ::)
http://www.mdc.hr/split-arheoloski/eng/FS-numizmaticka.html

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #174 on: January 28, 2017, 10:58:11 PM »
The Currency Museum of the Bank of Japan houses the national currency collection.

Below are three postcards from the museum. The money tree (1863) is also pictured on a Japanese stamp. See here. There is what looks like a package of Obans and a decorated gold bar on the other postcards.

Peter