Author Topic: Holiday guide - museums  (Read 96202 times)

Online quaziright

Re: Holiday guide - museums
« Reply #195 on: February 15, 2019, 02:57:53 PM »
Thanks, I indeed visited it and strolled through the museum too. The shop is really a desk in the corner and the guy showed me a list of available coins. Once I picked them, he simply headed to the steel cupboards and took them out for me. Far cry from the RCM boutique in Ottawa, but I was the only one there and so I felt like I got a VIP treatment. One thing to keep in mind is that only cash is accepted over there.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #196 on: June 11, 2019, 11:30:53 PM »
The "Goldkammer" Museum in Frankfurt

Frankfurt (Hesse, Germany) has a new museum - dedicated to gold. Its exhibition shows gold sculptures from the Bronze Age, ancient jewellery and religious objects from all over the world. But the museum also shows the Rothschild Collection of about 300 gold bars.

Here is a CoinsWeekly article (English) about the place, with some nice photos. And this is the museum website (German). For individual visitors the museum is open daily (except Mon) 11-17 h.

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #197 on: July 20, 2019, 08:41:42 AM »
Nobel prize of Halldór Laxness on display in the numismatic collection in the Central Bank

Reykjavik, 13-06-2019

The exhibition will display items relating to Nobel laureate Halldór Kiljan Laxness, which have been entrusted to the Bank for conservation. Among them are the Nobel Prize diploma, the Nobel medal, and a cheque from the Nobel adjudication committee, all received by Laxness in 1955; honorary documents relating to Laxness; and several of his works. Among these is the first edition of his first novel, Child of Nature, which was published 100 years ago. A gold bar of the type held in the Bank’s gold reserves will also be on display and guests will have the chance to handle the bar of gold and guess its value. At the Central Bank and National Museum of Iceland numismatic collection, guests can see Icelandic banknotes and coin. A selection of paintings owned by the Bank will be on display in a conference room on the 1st floor.

Source: Central Bank news
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member