Author Topic: Android Application for Indian Coins  (Read 5922 times)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Re: Android Application for Indian Coins
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 12:26:31 PM »
Most of the Android Applications are like this..... your query is legitimate .....But, What else do you ask

Not all applications are like this including the free ones.  I don't blindly install applications on my phone.  I check the permissions first and if it has an acceptable level, then I go ahead and install it.  This is the first application that I have seen that requires device ID,phone number, and the ability to read personal information and home settings...Not that I am knocking the developer.  I can appreciate what he has done as I am a Software Engineer myself.  So, I know the amount of work it takes to get this done...

Ram
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline nomadbird

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 07:48:29 PM »
Not all applications are like this including the free ones.  I don't blindly install applications on my phone.  I check the permissions first and if it has an acceptable level, then I go ahead and install it.  This is the first application that I have seen that requires device ID,phone number, and the ability to read personal information and home settings...Not that I am knocking the developer.  I can appreciate what he has done as I am a Software Engineer myself.  So, I know the amount of work it takes to get this done...

Ram
Did you ever use any google applciations ?  below are the permissisons........Likewise many or most of them take perosnal info ....atleast what i have seen.

This application has access to the following:

Your accounts
    add or remove accounts
    Allows the app to perform operations like adding and removing accounts, and deleting their password.
    use accounts on the device
    Allows the app to request authentication tokens.
    Google mail
    Allows apps to sign in to Google mail services using the account(s) stored on this Android device.
    Your messages
    modify Gmail
    Allows the app to modify your Gmail, including sending and deleting mail.
    read Gmail
    Allows the app to read your Gmail.
    Network communication
    control Near Field Communication
    Allows the app to communicate with Near Field Communication (NFC) tags, cards, and readers.
    full network access
    Allows the app to create network sockets and use custom network protocols. The browser and other applications provide means to send data to the internet, so this permission is not required to send data to the internet.
    Your personal information
    read your contacts

Allows the app to read data about your contacts stored on your tablet, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific individuals. This permission allows apps to save your contact data, and malicious apps may share contact data without your knowledge. Allows the app to read data about your contacts stored on your phone, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific individuals. This permission allows apps to save your contact data, and malicious apps may share contact data without your knowledge.
    modify your contacts
    Allows the app to modify the data about your contacts stored on your tablet, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific contacts. This permission allows apps to delete contact data. Allows the app to modify the data about your contacts stored on your phone, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific contacts. This permission allows apps to delete contact data.
    Storage
    modify or delete the contents of your USB storage modify or delete the contents of your SD card
    Allows the app to write to the USB storage. Allows the app to write to the SD card.
    System tools
    prevent tablet from sleeping prevent phone from sleeping
    Allows the app to prevent the tablet from going to sleep. Allows the app to prevent the phone from going to sleep.
    toggle sync on and off
    Allows an app to modify the sync settings for an account. For example, this can be used to enable sync of the People app with an account.
    write subscribed feeds
    Allows the app to modify your currently synced feeds. Malicious apps may change your synced feeds.
Thx
Nomadbird

Offline nomadbird

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 07:53:49 PM »
  Anyway we will do necessary changes to the app to take away all these unwanted things... Thanks for the feedback.. :)

When yo uremove unnecessary permsissions and

1) Add a catalogging facility by quantity
2) Wishlist icon
3) Swap or trade

This should be a sophisticated apps then.....
Thx
Nomadbird

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 08:10:18 PM »
Did you ever use any google applciations ?  below are the permissisons........Likewise many or most of them take perosnal info ....atleast what i have seen.

As I indicated earlier, I am a professional software engineer (with well over 25 years of experience).  I have used several Android applications and not all of them read personal information like this..It is always good to be open and illustrate the permissions needed so that users are made aware...Thanks for letting us know before we install it so that we know what we are getting ourselves into :-)

Ram
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline nomadbird

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 10:36:38 PM »
As I indicated earlier, I am a professional software engineer (with well over 25 years of experience).  I have used several Android applications and not all of them read personal information like this..It is always good to be open and illustrate the permissions needed so that users are made aware...Thanks for letting us know before we install it so that we know what we are getting ourselves into :-)
Ram

NO COMMENTS :)
Thx
Nomadbird

Offline Dux

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 09:05:51 AM »
@Nirmal Kumar & @Quant.Geek    :) come on folks... i think u guys are simply complicating the things.. :) i think i should raise one white flag to make things compromise.. :) Okies.. lemme come to point of permissions.. i can understand the worries of a user like Ram..  but wot Nirmal Kumar has listed about the permissions.. i dont think this application is taking all those.. he just generalised..  that list is simply going to make people worry... :)  The above list of permissions are usually taken by gmail app or yahoo mail app which is designed for that..  so don worry.. :) anyway i have already informed we will check all those and take away all those unwanted permissions stuff which might be because of google ads.. Don worry.. :) 
i think topic diverted from Application improvement suggestions to permission improvements.. :)

@mackie.. i have removed the app name as per ur suggestion.. but that app is really a cracker.. really amasing one.. but with some negative also.. :)

Offline Dux

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 01:24:15 PM »

Hi all....

A new update of the Indian coin app Is available now... all unwanted permissions are removed... please check... :)

thanks,
Sanil

Offline nomadbird

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 02:50:30 PM »
Sanil,

I was just generalising.... nice to know you new vrsion, should try in weekend...... but  Iand Ram are not complicating things, jus tthat we had a discussion, you helped to remove the unwanted permissions :)
Thx
Nomadbird

mumbapuri

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 09:27:47 AM »
nice app. Wonderful and handy to relx when u travelling. Thx for sharing

Request to put in pics of metal and die variety for roi. The look and feel reminds me of beekar home page :)

Also have seen something on euro coins.

Regards

Offline Dux

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 06:52:37 AM »
@mumbapuri  Thanks for the feedback.. that means u bought an android phone i guess ?  :) We are collecting information from different people,websites etc.. to put all the related info into the app like die variety, metal info, mint info etc etc.. Actually data collection is bit time consuming.. :) still lot to cover in all related areas..  Beekar sir blog helped us a lot to get  republic coin infos.. Home page we made it simple as it is an information related App..  Home page similarity could be coincidence.. :)

@Nirmal Kumar No probs... that's why i posted the topic here to get positive as well as negative feedbacks.. :)

Offline nomadbird

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 03:08:18 PM »
@mumbapuri  Thanks for the feedback.. that means u bought an android phone i guess ?  :) We are collecting information from different people,websites etc.. to put all the related info into the app like die variety, metal info, mint info etc etc.. Actually data collection is bit time consuming.. :) still lot to cover in all related areas..  Beekar sir blog helped us a lot to get  republic coin infos.. Home page we made it simple as it is an information related App..  Home page similarity could be coincidence.. :)

@Nirmal Kumar No probs... that's why i posted the topic here to get positive as well as negative feedbacks.. :)

Now i see one more version which is like  1.25$ ...... same app or some extra features?
Thx
Nomadbird