Sri Vira Coinage of the Madurai Nayaks: 1601-1736

Started by Quant.Geek, January 12, 2013, 11:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EWC

Hello Ram

Your write  >  A project of this magnitude can not be done by one person as it will definitely take forever.  I remember Barbara Mears.....

You exaggerate I think – I saw Barbara just a couple of weeks back and she still looks like a youngster to me   :)

I agree with Peter.  For my part - the chances of me learning to use Wiki software are near zilch, but I would certainly chip in with scans and suggestions if an project manager can be found (GQ??) to create a matrix and slot them into it etc........

Rob

Quant.Geek

Alright.  It seems that I got enough encouragement to get this project started.  I'll do it, but it will probably only commence after the Christmas break as my time has already been allocated to a VIP, my daughter :).  Promised her I would work with her on her science project for school  ;D.  Since this is a national competition, it requires a lot of time and resources.  I will, in the meantime, collect as many materials as I can.  Probably a good time to pay a visit to the ANS...

As for Barbara, my assessment is based on her writings.  She indicated that it took her several years and multiple visits to India to finish her work on the Thirai Kasu of Tranvancore.  As I never met her personally, she seems to be a very charming person via email...
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

EWC

Figleaf

I will admit that the wiki software is not self-evident, but it is not that complicated either. Writing and editing is like in any word processor. Text make-up is like in world of coins: select and click the appropriate button. Making links is easy. Only lay-out and footnotes are complicated. Let someone else handle that an you will be fine. I will confess I still don't know how to post pictures, though :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Amit Kher

Wow! what an informative thread.
i was sent here by THCoins when i posted a coin for id help.
The coin in my collection does show the "Sri Vira" legend but unfortunately the larger part on the other side is off flan.
though i doubt my post can add any value to the information, hoping someday someone is able to make enough of the off-flan image & my coin gets a proper attribution :)

mkm1968

correctly I tried to identify the coin?
Madurai Nayaks 1 kasu ND (1732) KM# 14
1,9g 10x12mm

Figleaf

I propose to turn the left picture 90° clockwise: Nandi lying under tree. Compare Zeno 92264.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Amit Kher

Quote from: mkm1968 on June 06, 2022, 04:19:30 PMcorrectly I tried to identify the coin?
Madurai Nayaks 1 kasu ND (1732) KM# 14
1,9g 10x12mm

thanks Konstatin

Amit Kher

Quote from: Figleaf on June 06, 2022, 04:50:06 PMI propose to turn the left picture 90° clockwise: Nandi lying under tree. Compare Zeno 92264.

Peter

thanks Peter

Amit Kher

was searching for info on the Madurai Nayaks & found a pdf titled "Coinage of Madurai Nayakas- A reappraisal" by R.V.R Sai Sravan
Should i post it here?

Figleaf

Amit Kher

Quote from: Figleaf on June 11, 2022, 09:25:43 PMThe paper is rights free, so it is OK to post a link.

Peter

it's a small world Peter :)
just now found that the Author of the Document @saisravan is a memeber of WOC & has posted the link -
https://www.academia.edu/35618951/Coinage_of_Madurai_Nayakas_A_reappraisal
 on another thread - http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php?topic=29244.0