Author Topic: From A Street Seller...My Coins #8  (Read 5106 times)

Offline aarkay

• Errors....Errors.....and Errors
From A Street Seller...My Coins #8
« on: December 15, 2012, 10:08:08 AM »
Hi...

India Ram Darbar Temple Token or Ramatanka

This coin is related to Hindu temples, i.e., it is a 'Temple Token', with various Western spellings such as Ram Tanka, or Ramatanka, or Ram Tonka.

The Hindu gods on the token are Lord Rama, his wife Sita, and the monkey god Hanuman around a platform (durbar). The design comes from the great Hindu epic 'Rama's Journey' (the Ramayana). The two figures on the other side of the token are Rama with his half-brother and inseparable companion, Lakshman.

One can find modern reproductions of these coins at many places on the Internet (do a search on 'ram durbar' or 'ram tanka') and at a few coin dealers. The modern coins show false dates, so it is difficult to know precisely when a particular coin was minted. Most coins were manufactured during the 20th century and intentionally made to look old.

Some of the prices asked for this coin if you Google search are laughable…have fun…enjoy the greed of the ignorant…

Aarkay

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:33:21 AM by aarkay »
Why worry about dead yesterdays and unborn tomorrows….live in the present…a present for you today…

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: From A Street Seller...My Coins #8
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 03:36:16 PM »
Thank you, aarkay. This site is actively indexed by Google, so you have given the unaware another chance of informing themselves before spending money.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
From A Street Seller...My Coins #8
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 04:18:45 PM »
I suggest to change the topic title (don't say 'my coins') to avoid confusion. :) (Some text in message also need to be changed to tokens instead of coins, there are not coins at all, however I agree that there exist genuine temple tokens which are much harder to find that modern imitations)

Aditya

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 04:20:20 PM »
Is this original Ram tak? This one looks like a fake ...
There are Original Ram Tak in the same design ... I also know that there are some Silver one as well that are now rare ...

However there are quite a few fakes one ...
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline aarkay

• Errors....Errors.....and Errors
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 08:05:57 AM »
Hi….

@Bimat……Aditya….thanks for your suggestion….in fact this thought did cross my mind….i.e. to mention this post as a coin or as a token….but since this is being sold as a coin to unsuspecting collectors by unscrupulous dealers (if you search Google as ‘Ram Durbar Coin’ ) I felt to call it a coin may be more appropriate…but I am not trying to defend my action never the less…you are absolutely right…but a rose by any other name will smell as sweet …and a fake by any other name will be a fake always….

@dheer….no this is a fake… see link….

http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=521

and further images in the link….

http://www.google.co.in/search?q=ram+darbar+coin&hl=en&tbo=u&rlz=1R2PRFB_enIN451&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=UCzMUMHMIMexrAfs5ICoDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=531

and various prices asked for and descriptins in the link…see specially the  Rice Puller Coin::)

http://www.google.co.in/search?q=ram+darbar+coin&hl=en&tbo=d&rlz=1R2PRFB_enIN451&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=GmrNUKPTB8r_rAf2z4HgDw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA&biw=1366&bih=531

@Figleaf…Peter....fake coins are floating around in Mumbai in plenty…one can actually see these if one visits Chor Bazar (notorious place for anything and everything, fakes or originals) in Mumbai specially on Fridays when all footpath sellers descend……where unsuspecting buyers are fleeced with fake goods at exorbitant prices….

Incidentally I  purchased this knowing fully well it is a fake just because the image was interesting and I liked it…. paid for in single digit….so no regrets

Aarkay

Why worry about dead yesterdays and unborn tomorrows….live in the present…a present for you today…

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 09:16:18 AM »
Over a period of time such tokens appeared in WOC for discussion

You can refer these posts here & here to understand about these enigmatic  religious Hindu tokens.

Many varieties exists with  different metal compositions.

What is the metal of the  token you are possessing ?

AFAIK  these tokens with silver & gold compositions are equivalent to market value of gold/silver+ making charges , however in case of  copper tokens  normally in range of 1 - 2 USD/piece , as these are all contemporary tokens  thus doesn't bear any numismatic  value rather than religious sentiments.

Cheers  ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/