Author Topic: Indo-Greek AE Unit of?  (Read 845 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Indo-Greek AE Unit of?
« on: November 04, 2014, 10:56:18 AM »
Mass=4.0 g

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Indo-Greek AE Unit of?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 07:57:23 PM »
Not much to go by. My best guess: Strato II and/or III, ca 25 BC - 10 AD.
Obv: Apollo standing right holding arrow. Rev: Fire altar, Kharosti letter Pi to left.

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 10:22:29 PM »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 07:42:00 AM »
Although this is very much more common, this is definitely not Apollodotus I i believe.
Edit; reasons why:
The curve on the left of the figure and its outline suggests Apollo is facing right. On Apollodotus I he faces left.
There seems to be a monogram left to Apollo. This is not present on Apollodotus I coins.
Apollodotus I coins have a beaded border around the fire altar, I see no trace of that here.
The Kharosthi letter left of the fire altar, and the circular shape in the fire altar only is seen in later Indo-Greek rulers, and is not known for Apollodotus I.

(Wildwinds does not like hotlinking so direkt link does not work)
The design looks more like this on on Zeno (That's Hippostratos, also a later Indo-Greek king, no entries under the even later kings. But i still say Strato II because of the monogram letter)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 04:14:22 PM by THCoins »

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 04:31:21 PM »
I can only make out a few characters. On the obverse is what looks part of ΣΩTH(POΣ) (Soteros). I expect to find its equivalent, tratarasa, on the Kharosthi side, but cannot. I can see (in green) Ma---Ja (probably part of Maharajasa) and (in blue) Dha-am or sa, which could probably be part of "Dharmikasa" (pious), but there are usually only two titles there.  :(

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 06:02:55 PM »
Can not read a thing in the edge inscription. Indicated what i think are the distinguishing features to attribute it to the later Indo-Greek kings, more specific Strato II/III.