Author Topic: Ummattur Chiefs of Kongu, Kongu Cheras: A Collection of Various Coins  (Read 3662 times)

Online Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Re: Ummattur Chiefs of Kongu, Kongu Cheras: A Collection of Various Coins
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 08:58:29 PM »
Obv: Similar
Rev: Bow; Tree? with pellets on either side; Palm Tree

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Online Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 09:02:14 PM »
I think I am done  ;)   Please post yours if you have any...BTW, Kongu is in the area of Mysore during the 14th-16th century.  This probably should be in the "prior to 1526" area...

Ram

akona20

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 10:39:01 PM »
In my library I have a minor article of about 8 pages written about these coins in the later 19th century.

Online Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 10:50:16 PM »
Since it should be out of copyright, is it possible you can send me a digital copy?

Thanks,

Ram

akona20

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 10:59:17 PM »
Sure, I will add it to my list of things to do. Even though this and orther articles issued by this organisation are out of copyright I have received express permission to use and publish if required.

Offline Mulliner

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 06:00:15 AM »
I think I am done  ;)   Please post yours if you have any...BTW, Kongu is in the area of Mysore during the 14th-16th century.  This probably should be in the "prior to 1526" area...

Ram

Posting a coin that I was lucky to acquire. It has a Parasu in the center on the reverse. I also have a coin that is similar to one you have already posted which has a hollow cross/plus design with sharper strikes however do not want to post a duplicate.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 11:27:52 AM »
It's fine to post a picture twice (but please use embedding for a subsequent post). However, the coin with the cross you posted before has a three-topped hill on the reverse, which doesn't seem to fit this series...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Mulliner

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 02:56:19 PM »
It's fine to post a picture twice (but please use embedding for a subsequent post). However, the coin with the cross you posted before has a three-topped hill on the reverse, which doesn't seem to fit this series...

Peter

I see the confusion that has arisen. To clarify, the coin I am referring to above having a hollow cross with a dot is a chera coin and does not have a three topped hill on the reverse.

Online Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 04:47:26 PM »
There is a large set of variations with these coins and hence the more the merrier.  Furthermore, by all means, do post the same coin here.  Even the same type have slight variations and hence it helps in the classifications.  As for the hollow cross variety, it also has the same type of reverse as the others.  It is just that my specimen is rather poor in this regards.  I'll see if I can get an attribution for your coin in Mitchiner...

Offline Mulliner

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 03:16:17 AM »
I have attached the image of the coin that I was referring to. It is the same pattern as the coin that you have posted earlier from your collection. The obverse has a cross with a dot at its center below what seems to concentric half moons and below what it seemed to me was a nandipada however I am curious to know your opinion on it. The reverse has the fire altar.

Offline Mulliner

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 03:26:22 AM »
Had issues with file size earlier while posting earlier.

Offline rgs1978

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 04:44:39 PM »
Wow..thought this wouldn't be there and just went searching...wow it is there...Nice coins and top condition ones too... To give a small detail regarding these coins, as per the book by Mrs.Beena Sarasan, titled "Traversing Travancore through the Ages on Coins" 2016 edition, these are referred to as "Copper Tharam of Malabar and Cochin circa early 17th century. (pp 63, 69 - Coins 77, 87 and 104 later on).As per author these coins are depicting the influence of North Kerala consequent to the multiple adoptions from two branches to Venad as soon as it was dedicated to Sree Padmanabha (Lord Vishnu, as worshiped by Travancore Kings). Prior to this book being published most of the coin collectors were telling me these were in use in Northern parts of Kerala, especially Malabar area upto late 16th century.

As far as my knowledge goes, there are many varieties with varying weights (seems that weight is very much inconsistent, implying no use of a weight measure??). It is indeed very difficult to get heavy weight coins of more than 3 grams weight, and difficult to find both side excellent. I will follow up with a couple of my coins too..

Offline rgs1978

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 05:33:53 PM »
Obv: Seated Diety
Reverse: Some symbols.
I am attaching an eye copy of the coins, courtesy seller.

Offline rgs1978

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2017, 05:40:52 PM »
Another one...this one slightly heavier..

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2017, 10:58:11 PM »
Excellent additions, rgs. Thank you.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.