News:

The Grand Event: an all-stars happening. Make sure you don't miss it!

Main Menu

Swedish Tivoli/nöjesfält/folkets park etc. tokens

Started by FosseWay, January 05, 2013, 12:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FosseWay

I have a bunch of these I'm trying to attribute and in the course of looking for information I happened across the Nordiskt Tivoliforum, a Scandinavian internet forum dedicated to the study of such amusement parks.

Someone has very usefully posted the whole of the 1954 yearbook of Svenska Tivoliägareföreningen (the Swedish Association of Tivoli Owners) in this thread (reply #5). Of particular interest is the directory on the second to last page, which lists the addresses of Tivoli owners and machine etc. operators who often put their names on their tokens but no location, allowing such tokens to be attributed geographically as well. I have just discovered where Holmbergs Nöjesfält was based, for example.

I have saved this page for posterity here.

malj1

That is going to be very useful.
I have just added a Sweden folder to my PC; now has one item in it already. I do have a couple of Tivoli items waiting.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

malj1

TIVOLI token with a peacock consimilar 30.8mm

Its the size a British pre-decimal 1d and the French early 10 centimes so it would fit the early type of slot machines.

Sweden, or is it Denmark?
Malcolm

FosseWay

I think (but no more strongly than that) this is from "the" Tivoli, i.e. Copenhagen's. I have one of these and my research (basically amounting to googling in Danish) was as follows:

At the Copenhagen Tivoli there is a restaurant called Påfuglen (the peacock) - see Tivoli's website and Påfuglens own. I can't see anywhere on those sites that the restaurant has a logo as such at all, but in any case it isn't the stylised peacock pattern on the token. That's not to say that it didn't have this logo in the past.

These tokens crop up regularly on QXL, Tradera and similar sites and are often attributed to Copenhagen. Example. I don't know whether the sellers know something I don't or whether they just see the word Tivoli and presume it's from the most famous tivoli. But they are at least remarkably consistent in their attribution, howsoever arrived at.

malj1

I have often noticed the parochial view here that if its here it must have emanated from here, and no doubt the same applies there in Denmark, but as you say it does appear to be from The Tivoli and this is backed up by no other name being present on the token. Rather like British stamps as they thought of it first.

I said its the size used for the early penny machines but this is not backed up by the fact that traces of lustre show in the low spots of the peacock and around the letters but this may be an new issue for old machines such as this Carters penny.
Malcolm