Author Topic: Countries with banknotes & coins of the same denomination  (Read 3620 times)

Offline tonyclayton

• Coins of the UK
Re: Countries with banknotes & coins of the same denomination
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 11:46:58 PM »
As I recall France had 20 franc notes and 20 franc coins in circulation at the same time.  I only ever received one of the latter in change.

The GB five pound coins do very occasionally circulate - about as much as a Canadian 50 cent coin nowadays!

BC Numismatics

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2008, 12:50:09 PM »
I forgot to mention that Guernsey,the Isle of Man,& Jersey all still issue 1 Quid notes,plus they also issue 1 Quid coins as well.

Aidan.

Galapagos

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 01:54:25 PM »
When I visited Guernsey in 1999 and 2001, I found you were more likely to be given their pound notes than their pound coins- same in Jersey, which I visited in 2000. I never received any of the Guernsey 2 pound coins in change so had to ask for some at the bank to bring a couple back for collector friends.

Guernsey and Jersey were the only places I've visited where there were three coinages circulating. UK, Guernsey and Jersey coins were all accepted as legal tender. The UK does not accept Channel Island coinage as legal tender, even though their coins are of the same value as the UK's. However, since they are of the same size, colour and shape, a few slip into circulation unrecognised here in the UK, as occasionally do coins from the Falkland Islands and Gibraltar.

Offline tonyclayton

• Coins of the UK
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 11:58:39 PM »
The Dominion of Canada also had both 25c. banknotes (commonly called 'Shinplasters' because of their size) between 1870 & 1923.The 1870 & 1923 25c. 'Shinplasters' almost never seem to turn up.I've never seen an 1870 issue,but I have seen 2 examples of the 1923,of which one is in my collection.

I attach a picture of my rather tatty 'shinplaster' given to me by an old chap in the village where I lived for 7 months in the Province of Quebec back in 1962, along with a 25 cent coin that circulated at the same time and which I got in change at that time.

BC Numismatics

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 04:42:11 AM »
Tony,
  That 25c. 'Shinplaster' is quite a nice one.The 1923 issue is not an easy one to find.

The 25c. coin was a very nice find.The King George V coins are very popular.There's a fair few scarce coins in the series,such as the 1921 5c. & 50c. coins,the 1925 & 1926 5c. coins,& the 1929 50c. coin is an extremely hard one to find.

Aidan.

BC Numismatics

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 01:36:40 AM »
Papua New Guinea is the latest country to have both a banknote & coin of the same denomination in circulation - the plastic 2 Kina banknote is circulating along with a commemorative bimetallic 2 Kina coin.

Have a look through http://www.bankpng.gov.pg .

Aidan.

Offline monedas1980

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 02:23:05 PM »
China is the only country in the world where banknotes have all denominations of circulating currency and co circulate with coins. In circulation, you can find 1 jiao notes and coins(10c), 2jiao notes(no coin), 5jiao notes and coins(50c), 1 Yuan notes and coins($1)

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 06:03:18 PM »
Presently, India has both the Currency Notes and Coins in the denominations of Rupees 5 and 10 in circulation.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline shashi106

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2016, 10:37:37 AM »
Fiji issued coin and note of same value during WWII.

Offline Pellinore

• Meritorious Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2016, 11:55:07 AM »
Interesting, the depiction of the coin on the note.