Author Topic: south-West African token, Etemba  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
south-West African token, Etemba
« on: August 11, 2008, 11:09:04 PM »
Bronze token, Schimmel 50.1002, 4.1 gr., 25.5 mm. Issued by the third company Schutztruppe, based in Etemba.

Does anyone have the Schimmel catalogue? Does he say anything about how these tokens were used? My best guess is canteen token.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline muenz-goofy

Re: south-West African token, Etemba
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 08:01:38 PM »
Does anyone have the Schimmel catalogue? Does he say anything about how these tokens were used? My best guess is canteen token.

Peter,

I have the Schimmel, but I am not at home now. After return at the end of the month I will have a look in the cataloque. Probably it is an canteen token. I guess that this item is listed in "Menzel" and "Hern", too. Please give me some time.

Dietmar
God created the ocean, we the boat. God created the wind, we the sail. He created the lull, we the paddle (African proverb)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 08:42:59 PM »
Collectors are a patient lot, Muenz-Goofy, or they'd be participating in on-line gaming :D There's absolutely no hurry. Have fun.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline muenz-goofy

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 09:51:34 PM »
Bronze token, Schimmel 50.1002, 4.1 gr., 25.5 mm. Issued by the third company Schutztruppe, based in Etemba.

Peter

Peter,

this token is listed at:

- Schimmel, J.F., German Tokens Part II, Colonial Issues, Austria, Luxembourg, Switzerland and other Areas (1988): Schimmel#50.1002

- Menzel, P., Deutschsprachige Notmünzen und Geldersatzmarken (2005): Me#12846.2

- Hern, B., Handbook of Southern African tokens (2004): Hern#26a

- Theron, G.P., Tokens of Southern Africa and their History (1978): The#S.W.A.10

You should be happy to own the piece of 1 Mark. I only have the the token of 1/2 Mark (see attachment). About the location of the 3rd Company the authors disagree. Menzel says Keetmanshoop, Hern and Theron say Windhoek. I do not know, from where you got your information about Etemba. But this company was based at different places that time, maybe.

Regards
Dietmar

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 09:59:22 PM by muenz-goofy »
God created the ocean, we the boat. God created the wind, we the sail. He created the lull, we the paddle (African proverb)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 10:05:31 PM »
The information came from the (British) seller, who had received it from his South African source of hese tokens. The seller is now out of business. I have no way of checking the information, sorry. I would indeed expect that the unit was moved around, if only to avoid "too friendly" relations with those they were supposed to supervise.

Peter