25 cents 1817

Started by Figleaf, November 19, 2012, 10:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

The media are bleating about the sale of this coin and how it is the first quarter gulden.

Well, maybe not. Quarter gulden pieces were introduced with the reforms of 1673. Most were presentation pieces, but circulated specimen are common.

After the Napoleonic wars, the Republic reconstituted itself a a kingdom in 1814 and adopted the decimal system. Mintmaster Suermondt submitted a series of patterns dated 1817 of pieces of 3 gulden, 25 cents and 1 cent. Only the mintage of the 3 gulden is known: 12 pieces. The minister of finance did not approve these patterns. He objected against the mintmaster's mark: a heraldic helmet top, because it looked like a baby wrapped in cloth. The same design with mintmaster sign torch was approved a few months later.

It's not a coin and it's not the first quarter gulden. It is a pattern for the first 25 cent of te kingdom of the Netherlands.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

I admit I have little knowledge in the area but isn't 1814 early for decimal coins?  When and what were the first ever decimal coin?
Dale

Quote from: Figleaf on November 19, 2012, 10:09:45 PM
.......After the Napoleonic wars, the Republic reconstituted itself a a kingdom in 1814 and adopted the decimal system. .......Peter

FosseWay

Quote from: Prosit on November 20, 2012, 06:54:37 AM
I admit I have little knowledge in the area but isn't 1814 early for decimal coins?  When and what were the first ever decimal coin?
Dale

In the US, possibly? Depends what you call a 'coin' but there were various tokens/coins issued by individual states in the 1780s that were denominated in cents. Failing that, the first federal coinage in 1792 (which was closely followed by the first French decimal coinage in 1794).

translateltd

I believe Russia beat everyone to "go decimal", ahead of both France and the US.  Not sure of the exact date, but Wikipedia's 1704 sounds about right.