Edwina Ellis, coin designer

Started by <k>, December 14, 2012, 05:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Edwina Ellis is a graphic designer and printmaker. She was born in Sydney, Australia, in 1946.

She trained at the National Art School of Sydney as a jewellery designer and moved to London in 1972.

After working as a jeweller, she took up wood engraving in 1979. Edwina now lives in Wales.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Edwina designed a series of pound coins for the Royal Mint, which were issued from 2004 to 2007.

They were the first decimal pound coin designs that were figurative or representational and not heraldic.

UK, one pound, 2004.  Forth Bridge, Scotland.

UK, one pound, 2005.  Menai Suspension Bridge, Anglesey, Wales.

UK, one pound, 2006.  The Egyptian Arch, Newry, Northern Ireland.

UK, one pound, 2007.  Gateshead Millennium Bridge, England.

<k>

Edwina designed one of the pair of UK two pound coins issued to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the London Underground.

According to Edwina's web site, her two pound coin for 2013 "pays homage to the 1938 poster by Man Ray that put Edward Johnson's familiar 1920 bulls-eye logo into orbit. Designed on an iPad, the final work was configured camped in the Pilbara region of North Western Australia using a Power Monkey solar charger."

eurocoin

UK, 5 Pounds, 2014. World War I - Howitzer guns.

eurocoin

UK, 5 Pounds, 2015. World War I - Submarine.

eurocoin

UK, 5 Pounds, 2016. World War I - HMS Dreadnought.

eurocoin

UK, 5 Pounds, 2017. World War I - Tank.

eurocoin

UK, 5 Pounds, 2018. World War I - Poppies.

eurocoin

eurocoin

UK, 50 Pence, 2019. Stephen Hawking.

<k>

Interesting that Ms Ellis has now produced so many design for the Royal Mint. My favourites remain the beautiful bridge designs.

The Hawking design is quite stylish. With modern technology, it's probably possible to produce a coin with a real black hole in the middle, so I just hope nobody gets sucked in.  :-\