News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Leiv Eriksson One Half Crown

Started by ghipszky, August 11, 2008, 02:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghipszky

Here is another one of those coins that I don't know if it is real or not, but it says one half Crown on it and it has the Queen on one side.
Ginger

chrisild

Yes, it is "real" in the sense that some mint (Pobjoy, I think) made it for the Isle of Man ... or rather for collectors. Now the IoM issues way too many pieces in my opinion, so by and large I ignore them. But this is a nice design, with the ship and its sail used as a map.

Around the year 1000, Leif Ericson from Iceland reached North America. To commemorate that occasion, several countries issued commems - Canada 5 dollars 1999, Norway 20 kroner 1999, USA 1 dollar 2000, Iceland 1000 kronur 2000, and probably a few others. Guess that the Isle of Man wanted to be the first, or among the first, in that row, so they issued their coin a little early. :)

Christian

Figleaf

Half crowns had not been in circulation for decades in the Isle of Man when this piece was issued, so go figure.

I agree with Christian that this design is superior to the usual syrupy Pobjoy stuff. The ship is a longship, a warship, manned with longbowmen. This was a formidable weapon of war and the cliché Viking ship. It is easily recognizable by the outboard shields.

In fact, we know litle of Eriksson's boat, except that he bought it from Bjarni Herjólfsson The boat may therefore have been a typical trader's ship, shorter, less rowers, no shields and bulkier, so as to leave more place for trading goods.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

Ginger,
  The Pobjoy Mint has been striking a lot of medal-coins denominated in Crowns ever since the 1970's,especially in relation to subjects that have no relevance to the Isle of Man at all.

Aidan.

ghipszky

It seems you liked this one. Now my other question is, is this a proof coin??
Ginger

BC Numismatics

Ginger,
  Yes,your Manx 1/2 Crown medal-coin is a Proof.The frosting on the Queen's portrait is the biggest giveaway that it is a Proof.

The Pobjoy Mint produces medal-coins that have a Proof-like appearance,but aren't Proof in the strict sense,even though they are better than Unc..This finish is called a 'diamond finish',as the dies are cut with a diamond-tipped engraving tool on a machine.

Aidan.

ghipszky

Thank you Aidan for the explanation. I really like coins like this one. I think that type of finish makes the Queen looks simply amazing. I have a couple more that I will post soon.
I was also going to mention that at the ANA museum here in Colorado Springs has a display cabinet that has several coins from the Pobjoy mint.
Ginger

BC Numismatics

Ginger,
  It's a shame that the Pobjoy Mint strikes too many medal-coins that commemorate nothing of relevance to the Isle of Man.They did the same thing with Gibraltar until a few years ago,when the Gibraltarian Government signed a contract with another mint to take over the striking of the Gibraltarian coin issues.I'm not sure if Gibraltar is still being landed with a deluge of medal-coins though.

I do have a couple of the Manx cupro-nickel 1 Crown medal-coins,one silver 1 Crown,& a gold 1/10 Angel dated 1987PM.The latter has a mintage of 1,000 coins.I had picked it up for basically bullion value.

Aidan.

ghipszky

The Isle of Mann has had an interesting history too. You would think they would mint some coins of their own.
Here is a link for the Isle of Mann
Ginger
Now I understand the word Manx

Figleaf

They have issued their own coins, but I am not sure to what extent they are actually used. Maybe africancoins knows. They're very good at squeezing money out of foreigners (which includes Englishmen).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

ghipszky

Being surrounded by all those places, tourist must abound. I have never really looked for their own coins. Although, I have one with the 3 legged someplace. I will look for it.
Ginger

africancoins

They do make good use of their own normal change coins on the Isle of Man.

I have had coins back direct from there on a number of occasions in the past.

Earlier this year someone had been there and from their change they brought me some - one of each of 5 different denominations plus three of the 1 Penny. About half of the group of coins whad the date "2007".

Find out more about those little letters on Manx circulation coins at....

http://www.wbcc.fsnet.co.uk/sub004b.htm

It is a page on my site (with a few other pages linked to it) that I did more than 5 years ago and have not updated since.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

BC Numismatics

You can even spend British coins on the Isle of Man as well as English notes.I think they also accept Scots & Ulster (Northern Irish) notes as well.Prior to 1979,one could spend Irish currency on the Isle of Man as well,as the Irish Pound was pegged at 1:1 to the Pound Sterling,before the Irish Pound was allowed to float.

Aidan.

ghipszky

Africancoins,
Very interesting about their lettering actually being from old Norse runes, very cool indeed.

Aidan,
What did you mean by the Irish Pound floating??
Ginger

BC Numismatics

Ginger,
  Prior to 1979,the Irish Pound was pegged at par with the Pound Sterling.In 1979,it was decided to abandon this to allow the Irish Pound to find its own value.

You can read about it here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_pound .

Aidan.