Author Topic: Coins of the Seychelles  (Read 3204 times)

BC Numismatics

Coins of the Seychelles
« on: August 09, 2008, 12:22:01 PM »
Paul,
  I was very pleased when a set of 6 coins from the Seychelles done up in plastic cut from a coin album page arrived in the mail a few weeks ago from Aussie.The coins are as follows;

2004PM 1 Cent.

2003PM 5 Cents.

2003PM 10 Cents.

2003PM 25 Cents. - nickel-plated steel.

1997PM 1 Rupee.

2000SAM 5 Rupees.

I am very surprised that the Pobjoy Mint has been striking the Seychelles' circulation coins,but I wouldn't be too surprised that the South African Mint was striking coins for the Seychelles.In a sense,this is going full circle,as the South African Mint was striking Mauritian coins during the 1940's,of which some of these are believed to have been shipped to the Seychelles as well.

Aidan.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 03:42:40 PM by Afrasi »

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
Re: Coins of the Seychelles
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 12:30:24 PM »
I have had those ones for quite some time now....

However when I got the 1c 2004PM in May-2006 I was told that it was still not in circulation at the time. It had been from the bank.

I have seen the Seychelles 2007 dates on ebay - minters are different. I think they are mostly or all now (again) by the British Royal Mint.

S.A.M. also did the 25c 2000.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 12:44:12 PM by africancoins »

Galapagos

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 09:40:44 PM »
Here is a list of the Seychelles coins that were designed by British numismatic artist, Norman Sillman:-

1972. 1  cent.    Re: Cow.      F.A.O.  Aluminium.
1972. 5  cents.   Re: Cabbage.  F.A.O.  Aluminium.
1972. 5  rupees.  Re: Aldabra tortoise on tropical beach.

Mr Sillman also designed the pre-decimal independence circulation coin set of 1964 for Zambia, and the decimal set of 1968. additionally, he designed the reverse of the attractive UK one pound coin of 1996, featuring a Celtic cross and pimpernel and the Broighter Collar.

The portrait of President Arap Moi on the Kenyan 5 shillings of 1985 is also by Mr Sillman, as is the Arab dhow that appears on the 1970s circulation coins of Qatar.

The wildlife designs appearing on the reverse of the Seychelles circulation coins of 1976 are by British artist Suzanne Danielli. The portrait of President Mancham gracing the obverse was designed by British artist Michael Rizzello, who died in 2004.

Mr Rizzello also designed Sierra Leone's circulations coins of 1964, and those of Swaziland dated 1974, as well as those of the Congo Democratic Republic dated 1965 and 1967, and Bermuda's first decimal circulation coins. He also was responsible for Gambia's first independence circulation designs of 1966, and he designed the portrait of the President that appeared on the obverse of the decimal coins from 1971.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 10:23:52 PM by coffeetime »

BC Numismatics

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 09:59:03 PM »
That's very interesting to know about who the designer were of the Kenyan & the Qatari coins as well as the Seychelles (when it was still a British colony!).

Former President Sir James Mancham is still with us today.He was born in 1939,& knighted a few days before the Seychelles became an independent British Commonwealth republic.He was overthrown by his Prime Minister,France-Albert Rene,who finally gave up power a few years ago.

Aidan.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 04:48:43 PM »
Here is another country that has never put its most famous plant on its coins. The imaginatively shaped coco de mer (guess which is the flower and which the fruit). You are much more likely to find the (Galapagos take note) giant turtle on a Seychelles coin.

Peter

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 08:06:13 PM »
Doesn't "coco de mer" appear on most/all of the 5 Rs circulation types for Seychelles ?

Thanks Mr Paul Baker