Author Topic: Theatre Tokens (metal Tickets)  (Read 1795 times)

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
Theatre Tokens (metal Tickets)
« on: August 07, 2008, 11:27:56 PM »
This piece seems to have a German style and is from an "Apollo" theatre. The hole seems to be one that was meant to be there. The piece is brass/bronze and has a diameter in the range of 30mm to 31mm.

Does anyone know more about this one or have anything similar ?

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Theatre Tokens (metal Tickets)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 12:53:27 AM »
I would agree that the style looks German. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the issuer is German. After the first world war, Germany boasted a small token industry that provided tokens to regions, cities, public and private enterprises as well as collectors. When inflation got out of hand, only parts of the market remained and coin reform made tokens superfluous. Most token producers disappeared, but some held out until the late thirties, when metal became scarce. The tokens of this period were used in Germany, but also in the Netherlands, Austria and Switzerland. In these countries, the word "theater" is spelled in the same way. However, this is most pobably not a token issued in the Netherlands as it is not listed in "the" catalogue.

The denomination 100 seems to indicate that it could once be used for payment, e;g; in a buffet in the lobby. I prefer to think the hole was made later and meant to hang the piece on a hook, since it ruins the design and it's in a place that's slightly off the lower centre. It might have been used later as a way to indicate reserved chairs, or it might have been used in the cloak room.

As for similar tokens, I have theatre tokens from France and I know of a simple German token with only the text "Spielmarke Apollo".

Peter
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 12:57:19 AM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 10:55:35 PM »
Hello!

The Apollo Theater, more a music hall than a theater, was in Berlin. This denomination is unknown in my literature.

Alexander

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 11:00:35 PM »
Thanks for that info...

Does your literature include some other denominations of this style and with the same issuer ?

Does it confirm my piece as being the Apollo Theater in Berlin ?

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 11:09:04 PM »
There is a lemma on the Apollo theatre in Berlin in the German wiki. Unfortunately, it hasn't been translated.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 11:24:38 PM »
Menzel noticed three tokens:

Apollo Theater    1       Nickel
Apollo-Theater    15     Brass
Apollo-Theater    Gut für ein Glas Bier ( Good for one glass of beer)  Brass

Written with and w/o Lemma!!!

Alexander