News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Germany: Design contests for 2013 issues

Started by chrisild, December 01, 2012, 02:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

The second, third and fourth best designs in the contest for the Schneewittchen €10 coin have just been published. Unfortunately the images are pretty small, but that is all I found ...

1st prize: Bastian Prillwitz
The jury liked this design best as it visualizes the tale's themes (the "beauty contest" and the queen's envy) and shows key elements such as the mirror, the apple, and the seven dwarfs. Also, the jurors emphasized the balance between the two sides ...

2nd prize: Lucia Maria Hardegen
The artist focuses on the mirror, the two women and the apple. In the published jury comment there is no criticism, so maybe this was a "close race".

Christian

chrisild

And here are the other two. While the design that won the third prize is "recognizable" at this size, the image of the fourth one would have to be bigger in my opinion. I cannot see many details, and the image looks as if it had traces of dirt ...

3rd prize: Herwig Otto
This design is somewhat more abstract. The seven triangular shapes could be mountains but also dwarf caps (the tale mentions both).

4th prize: Silvia Klöde-Hoffmann
The jury emphasized the unusual depiction, and the mix of various art styles.

Christian

chrisild

There have been two more design competitions for 2013 €10 coins; see here:

Red Cross
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,12204.msg119380.html#msg119380

Richard Wagner
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,12204.msg119384.html#msg119384

In both cases, the first post shows the winning design while the following one has the second, third and fourth best one.

Christian

Figleaf

I'd agree with the jury on all points as for the winner. Number two seems too conventional to me, solid designing, but no surprises. I wish the subject of the coin had been a bit weightier, though. If you can't think of a good subject, why not slow down a bit on issuing commemoratives? What's so important about having the same number of issues every year?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Seems that several other mints are quite successful with thematic series. So far Germany has not done that with €10 coins - well, that is about to change. ::)

Christian

paisepagal

It is indeed a well thought out design..., I hadn't noticed the dwarfs there...the wage reminds me of a bat....or maybe a teradactyle ?

chrisild

In early October 2013, the German series of €100 gold coins featuring Unesco World Heritage sites will be continued with the "Dessau-Wörlitz Garden Realm" in the state of Saxony-Anhalt. Here are the four designs that won prizes; the one that got the first prize will be minted.

1st prize: Lorenz Crössmann
The jury praised the harmonic composition, with the two corresponding sides. It also liked that Crössmann's design used both the Wörlitzer Landhaus (architecture) and the Rousseau Island (park) but in a clear, not too ornate way. The serif font is mentioned positively as well.

2nd prize: Wolfgang Reuter
A good and realistic design, two sides that correspond well - but the jury missed the architectural elements.

Christian

chrisild

3rd prize: Agatha Kill
She also used the Landhaus and the (mirrored) island. The jury found this design to be elegant but did not like the eagle very much. Also, they criticized that parts of the text on the image side (between 1 and 3 o'clock, I suppose) are hard to read.

4th prize: Bodo Broschat
Again there is the house and the island, but in Broschat's design they are "connected" by a map of the area. The jury said the design is "etwas brav", ie. a little too conventional ...

A colored image of the winning design, plus some info about what the piece is about, is here: http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,12204.msg128423.html#msg128423

Christian

chrisild

The dwarfs in Prillwitz's winning design can be viewed here (replies #12 and #13):
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,12204.msg128369.html#msg128369

As for the jury verdicts, well, sometimes they do not like an eagle because it lacks, as they say, the dignity of the country symbol. On other occasions that seems to play a minor role. ;)  The bird of the winning design looks strange indeed. Maybe it would have been a little better if the two "legs" had a different style or texture ...

Christian

chrisild

Quote from: chrisild on December 01, 2012, 02:29:11 PM
While the design that won the third prize is "recognizable" at this size, the image of the fourth one would have to be bigger in my opinion. I cannot see many details, and the image looks as if it had traces of dirt ...

This is the design that won the fourth prize, this time a little bigger (from MünzenRevue; I left the eagle side out). The details are still hard to recognize, but the way Snow White is depicted is a bit strange in my opinion.

Christian

<k>

Quote from: chrisild on December 18, 2012, 03:13:37 PM
This is the design that won the fourth prize...the way Snow White is depicted is a bit strange in my opinion.

Christian

I can't see her head at all. This design didn't deserve any prize.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

chrisild

Quote from: <k> on December 18, 2012, 04:28:29 PM
I can't see her head at all. This design didn't deserve any prize.

The head seems to be a little loose but it's still above her heck, hehe. MünzenRevue also shows three other designs which deservedly ;) did not win any prize. In my opinion the winner is actually the best one, as far as the image side (apple in the center, two faces/hands, dwarfs at the bottom) is concerned. The eagle side, ummm ...

Christian