Author Topic: South African token, Whyte  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
South African token, Whyte
« on: August 07, 2008, 10:24:33 PM »
This token is 8.9 gr., 28.3 mm. It is also mentioned in Paul's link here, but my copy is bronze, rather than brass. It's also dated 1861. I'd appreciate a catalogue number, bu otherwise, this token is pretty self-explanatory.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 10:38:47 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline muenz-goofy

Re: South African token, Whyte
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 10:46:43 PM »
Peter,

Bronze is the usual material for this token.

Hern's Handbook lists a bronze token (Hern#662a) with the remark "also nickel plated".

Dr. Theron gives a comment (The#C14): "...Two varieties of the tokens are known. The one is the usual bronze piece, and the other, also of bronze but nickel or silver plated, otherwise the same description etc ..."

The specification "copper" at the link of londoncoinsclub (it's not Paul!) should be wrong.

That is, what I can tell you.

Dietmar
God created the ocean, we the boat. God created the wind, we the sail. He created the lull, we the paddle (African proverb)

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
Re: South African token, Whyte
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 11:12:26 PM »
Dietmar is pointing out that the ...londoncoinclub... link it not my site - that is correct. It was me who first mentioned that particular website here.

Does anyone else have further links for African Tokens ?

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

BC Numismatics

South African token, Whyte.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 09:38:27 AM »
This token is 8.9 gr., 28.3 mm. It is also mentioned in Paul's link here, but my copy is bronze, rather than brass. It's also dated 1861. I'd appreciate a catalogue number, bu otherwise, this token is pretty self-explanatory.

Peter

Peter,
  What you have got there is actually a trader's currency token.I think that this is a 1/2d. one if it is around the same size as the British 2/- or large 10p. coin.

There is a South African banknote & coin catalogue that would list the traders' currency tokens of the South African colonies & Boer republics.

The South African traders' currency token series is quite an extensive one.There are references to it in the 19th. Century Krause catalogue,but unfortunately,they're not listed like the Australian,Canadian,& New Zealand traders' currency tokens are.

Aidan.