Author Topic: South African token, East London  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
South African token, East London
« on: August 04, 2008, 09:11:36 PM »
Copper, 5.6 gr., 25,1 mm. This may be the best known South African token and it's dated. What makes this ferry token special is that the ferry has its web pages. Make sure you read about ferryman Billy Button :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline muenz-goofy

Re: South African token, East London
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 09:30:58 PM »
What makes this ferry token special

I do not really know. But you are right. This token is one of the most common tokens of South Afrika. The story of Billy Button was new for me. Thanks a lot for this link!

There were some more transport tokens of East London, not for the ferry but for the tramway. They wer made from celluloid. Like some pics?

Cheers
Dietmar

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 09:46:33 PM by Figleaf »
God created the ocean, we the boat. God created the wind, we the sail. He created the lull, we the paddle (African proverb)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 09:36:01 PM »
I asume ELM stands for East London Municipality. Wonderful addition, muenz-goofy. Thanks.

Did you notice the style of the ones on each of these tokens?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline muenz-goofy

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 09:51:15 PM »
Unfortunately I posted the red tramway token of East London twice. I do not know how to delete one of the pics.

For anyone, who is interested:

The bronze ferry token is listed in Hern#178a resp. Smith#320a, the tramway tokens are Hern#180a resp. 320AB (red) and Hern#180b resp. Smith#320AA (blue).

That's all for today. See you tommorow!

Yours
Dietmar
God created the ocean, we the boat. God created the wind, we the sail. He created the lull, we the paddle (African proverb)

Offline muenz-goofy

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 10:03:42 PM »
I asume ELM stands for East London Municipality. Wonderful addition, muenz-goofy.

That's right. ELM stands for East London Municipality. But as I see now I made a mistake regarding the references of the plastic tokens.
Everything on the red one is ok, because there is only one red token of East London reported. But the blue one I posted is Hern#180c not "b". Smith does not discriminate both blue items. Both are Smith#320AA. But Hern says that the one I posted is Hern#180c. The difference to "b" is the size of the denomination.

Sorry for that mistake.

Yours
Dietmar

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 05:40:52 AM »
Copper, 5.6 gr., 25,1 mm. This may be the best known South African token and it's dated. What makes this ferry token special is that the ferry has its web pages. Make sure you read about ferryman Billy Button :)

Peter

The old link given is now broken; A new page can be seen here

The tokens are dated 1880 although passengers still had to pay 3d until October 1882 [and a shilling for night crossings] when the fare was reduced to 1d for day crossings of the Buffalo River which divided suburbs from the main town.

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.