Author Topic: South African token, Horn  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
South African token, Horn
« on: August 04, 2008, 04:03:13 PM »
Plastic-like material, 2.6 gr., 31.1 mm. The other side is blank.

NET OM VOOR TE KOOP is Afrikaans for "not for sales". I also have a white shilling and a dark yellow half crown from this series (without Theron number, I don't have that catalogue.)

Identified as Theron O13, 6 pence around 1935, issued by John Horn and Sons of Steynrus, Oranje Vrijstaat.

J.H.S. will be th issuer, but what is Y.S.? Also, were plastics like these available around 1935?

Peter
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 04:05:40 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline muenz-goofy

Re: South African token, Horn
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 08:08:49 PM »
Peter,

a nice token you have. May I qoute Dr. Theron again? He says "The J.H.S.Y.S" stands for Jan Horn, Steynsrus, the 'S.Y.S' being the abbreviation used by the South African Railways to denote Steynsrus. 
... They were specially ordered from a firm in Japan. The tokens were put into use to elimiate certain irragulations. ... The business was openend by Mr. Jacob Horn and his sons, Mr. Salomon Aren Horn, and Mr. Simeon Horn, in 1931. ... They (te tokens) were in use for about five years".

Your token of 6 Pence is listed in "Hern's Handbook of Southern African tokens (2004)" as No.#286g.

Hope I could help you a litte bit.

Yours
Dietmar
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 05:29:56 PM by Afrasi »
God created the ocean, we the boat. God created the wind, we the sail. He created the lull, we the paddle (African proverb)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: South African token, Horn
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 08:14:09 PM »
Great help, Dietmar. Thanks. It clears up the legend and you got me the material (celluloid) in another post. I'm impressed by your library...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.