Author Topic: Boordgeld or ship money  (Read 13359 times)

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
Boordgeld or ship money
« on: November 23, 2012, 11:04:36 PM »
Google has offered conflicting tales on this. Supposedly this was used circa 1950 on Dutch ships carrying emigrants to the US to avoid the export of Dutch currency. Can anyone substantiate this?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Boordgeld or ship money
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 11:39:26 PM »
A bit earlier. Most were struck in 1947. After the second world war, the gulden was not convertible and the economy was in a shambles. Unemployment was quite high. Many chose to emigrate, rather than wait for things to get better. Emigration countries were mostly Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Netherlands Antilles and Surinam.

MSN had regular services to most of these countries and what is now Indonesia, which became unsafe quickly. They could not accept Dutch currency on board, as it was not allowed to import or export Dutch money, but they did want people to spend money on board. These tokens could be bought before boarding and spent on the ships. Values are 5, 10, 25 (square), 25 (round), 50 cents, 1, 2-1/2 gulden. A 5 gulden piece was added in 1948.

There is a second series, issued by HAL (Holland Amerika Lijn), providing service to the Americas, consisting of 5, 10 and 25 pieces. A similar series was issued by Phs. Van Ommeren, which had no relation with the inconvertibility of the gulden, but with on board vending machines. A related series was issued by the Dutch ministry of defense for soldiers training in France at a time of gulden inconvertibility.

The SMN low values and the HAL tokens can be found relatively easily. The others are difficult to find.

The trade tokens saw only a short service. As Germany recuperated (Wirtschaftswunder), its economy lifted the Dutch economy out of the morass and the gulden regained its convertibility.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 07:09:22 AM »
The tokens in this series are readily found in NZ, largely on account of the extensive migration of Dutch folks to this country in the 1950s and 60s.  The "round" 25 is hard to find, however: the more common one is aluminium and square-shaped.  The only bronze 25 I've seen was sent to me from Holland about 10-15 years ago.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 11:44:22 AM »
The SMN tokens are also very common here in Australia.

I know a lot of Dutch people that live in this area, many of them are vegetable or flower growers. One large well-known local company export bulbs to the Netherlands.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 12:05:47 PM »
There's a sad reason that many of them were farmers. In the final stage of the second world war, two huge polders and a number of small ones were flooded; around 10% of the country was under water at the time of the nazi surrender.

Farmers in those polders knew the damaged dykes would have to be repaired, the water pumped away and the land would have been poisoned with salt where sea water was used. All this when there was neither money nor equipment available. They decided to leave, rather than wait. In fact, the dykes of Wieringermeer were repaired in December 1945 and Walcheren's dykes were repaired in February 1946. That still left 80 000 hectares to be de-silted.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 12:10:07 PM »
Thank you one and all. This is a slightly unusual case in that I'm assuming that although  the shipping line recycled them for each voyage the tokens are freely found far away from their point of origin. Martin touched on one point of interest which is that the 25 cent changed shape. Somewhere online it states that this was because the round coin was being used as a quarter in  US vending machines although I can't see that the quantity involved would have posed a threat to the American economy of the time.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 12:15:18 PM »
I am told that rather than having been used as a quarter, it was decided that it could be used as a quarter. No vending machines involved, but the number 25 was deemed confusing.

When the US government in its ponderousness tells a mere shipping line to change the shape of its token, the shipping line changes the shape of its token.

Peter

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 01:43:34 PM »
Many thanks! :D One question more answered about my Nederlandse penningen.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 06:21:28 AM »
A few more images of the SMN tokens; in aluminium, a huge 250 Boordgeld at 38mm; a 100 at 31mm; the square 25, 20.2mm and the bronze 10 at 20mm.
Malcolm

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 06:00:48 PM »
I recently put this piece on ebay at £2.99. I was surprised when it sold for £28.00.

translateltd

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 09:56:34 PM »
I recently put this piece on ebay at £2.99. I was surprised when it sold for £28.00.

I did say it was hard to find :-)  That's a good price all the same.

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 10:55:32 PM »
It went to Australia.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 11:09:18 PM »
Anywhere near Melbourne? ;D

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 11:10:01 PM »
I was tempted as I only have those I have shown above but it got a little pricey.
Malcolm

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 11:55:45 PM »
Anywhere near Melbourne?
Nope, other end of the country.