Author Topic: South African token, De Beers  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
South African token, De Beers
« on: August 03, 2008, 11:37:45 PM »
Zinc (?) token, 3.3 gr., 19.3 - 22.6 mm. It is not cut or clipped, but struck with a partly straight edge, partly round edge. The reverse is blank. There is a countermark under the denomination of a four-legged animal looking back (possibly a heraldic leopard).

Again, I am curious about the dates of issue, use but also the legend. I thought the company was known as De Beers Mining Company Ltd, but on this token, the legend seems to be DBCM (though the C could be a G).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
Re: South African token, De Beers
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 01:02:54 AM »
Yes this piece has an intact beaded border. There are a few G.B. tokens of that same strange shape.

The company was De Beers Consolidated Mines Ltd.

There are several denominations but only the 6d is this shape.

There are some in Brass too.

I expect to have a nice selection of these on my website next time I update the African Tokens section.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline muenz-goofy

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 10:29:03 PM »
Peter,

as Paul Baker already posted on a different thread, the counterstamps of the animals only show the denomination. But there are other punched marks, which tells us the mine they were used. The ones without a second mark, like the 6d you presented, were from the Wesselton mine. The tokens used at the Toitspan mine have a crescent and the tokens from Bultfontain mine a dumbbel additional to to the countermark of the denomination. Please see attached two exemplary tokens from Toitspan an Bultfontain (Halfcrown resp. 3d).

Dietmar
God created the ocean, we the boat. God created the wind, we the sail. He created the lull, we the paddle (African proverb)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 10:33:58 PM »
Great stuff, guys. Thanks!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.