Author Topic: South African token, City of Capetown  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
South African token, City of Capetown
« on: August 03, 2008, 10:54:46 PM »
At last, one Paul doesn't have on his site ;)

White metal (cupro-nickel?) token, 2.1 gr., 16.6 mm. I also have a sixpence and halfcrown in this series, so I guess there will also be a shilling.

I presume this is a canteen token for city hall workers.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 10:18:28 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
Re: South African token, City of Capetown
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 01:06:12 AM »
I do not any of this general sort - it is neither transport nor mining. Perhaps I will not try too hard to get this particular sort of thing from South Africa (perhaps because too many of them can be a bit expensive - not sure).

Have a look at...

http://www.londoncoinclub.fsnet.co.uk/SAtalk/SAtalk.htm

For a few similar pieces.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 11:35:26 AM »
Another good link, Paul. I have now learned that the counterstamp on the De Beers piece stands for the Wesselton mine.

Let me encourage you to include these pieces. The point is not buying, finding or having them, but making information available on the net. We are looking at a half-identified mass today, but articles like those of John Roberts-Lewis, who had access to local newspapers and used it to date quite a few pieces and web pages like yours will make it possible that some day, a good, affordable catalogue of South African tokens appears.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 12:24:54 AM »
Regarding....

>>I have now learned that the counterstamp on the De Beers piece stands for the Wesselton mine.<<

The animals on these link to denomination and not location. I am not sure how that writer had concluded otherwise.

I have not seen any other tokens with stamped incuse animal or similar marks.... othert than for this particular issuer.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline muenz-goofy

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 09:24:22 PM »
... make it possible that some day, a good, affordable catalogue of South African tokens appears.

Peter,

there is already a very good cataloque of South African tokens: Hern, Brian, Handbook of Southern African tokens (2004). But it is sold out yet, unfortunately. Please take a look on your personal messages.

Regards
Dietmar

God created the ocean, we the boat. God created the wind, we the sail. He created the lull, we the paddle (African proverb)

Offline muenz-goofy

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 09:35:11 PM »
Peter,

Regarding the tokens of City Catering Dep. CPT, Dr. Theron says in his book: "... the tokens where used at the old Cape Town Pier Restaurant and nowhere else. ... they were used is given from about 1911 to 1913. ... The old Pier was located at the bottom of Adderley Steet and vanished, when work was situated to enlarge the harbour. ... A set consists of 1d, 3d, 6d, 1/- and 2-/6 (=half crown).

You should be happy to have some of them. I only own the piece of 1 Penny.
Cheers
Dietmar
God created the ocean, we the boat. God created the wind, we the sail. He created the lull, we the paddle (African proverb)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 09:46:36 PM »
Useful, Dietmar. Thanks. I suppose the restaurant was meant for city workers. catering department doesn't sound so fancy...

Can you post the penny, please?

Peter
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:48:14 PM by Figleaf »

Offline muenz-goofy

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 09:56:51 PM »
Can you post the penny, please?

Here it is

Dietmar

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 10:00:57 PM »
Interesting! Mine are the size of the official coins. That doesn't seem like a particularly good idea to me.

Peter

Offline muenz-goofy

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 10:08:15 PM »
Peter,

the size of my Penny is 29,5 mm and the weight is 8,45 g.

Hope that helps you on.

Dietmar