Heckmondwike, Yorkshire, England. Tram? Token

Started by Kushi, November 20, 2012, 07:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kushi

Yorkshire Tram Services Sports Club & Bus Heckmondwike

Information wanted on this company. With a one shilling value it doesn't seem to be a fare token. Maybe it was a pub that ran a charter bus or tram to sporting events. Aluminum, 26 millimeters. Photo: eBay.com

andyg

I think it's not for paying a fare with - I think it's for use within the employees sports club, which employees and their families would be eligible to join - usually set up by the drivers to provide sports and social events for the staff.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Kushi

Sounds plausible. Perhaps a more correct reading of the legend would be:

Yorkshire Tram & Bus Services Sports Club  Heckmondwike

andyg

yes it does doesn't it :)

The problem is that I can't see that it would have been worthwhile to have had these made, but in the absence of a better explanation then I guess we're stuck.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

malj1

Another Yorkshire Tram & Bus Services Sports Club Heckmondwike, but this time for 6d aluminium, 22.1mm signed Ardill Leeds

Heckmondwike is a town and electoral ward in the metropolitan borough of Kirklees, West Yorkshire, England, 9 miles south west of Leeds. Historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire, it is close to Cleckheaton and Liversedge. Wikipedia
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

AFAIK there was never an organisation called "Yorkshire tram & bus services". I could well imagine a joint sports organisation of several Yorkshire transport bodies. There is, however, a sports complex in Heckmondwike. They could have distributed the tokens on the bus to the sports field as part of a "cheer our boys/girls" program.

Also, there seems to be a penny from this series for sale on eBay.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.