Another Egypt token?

Started by muenz-goofy, August 02, 2008, 07:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muenz-goofy

Hi,

this seems to be the day of tokens from Egypt. Let me add another token to the list, which could be from this country. The denomination is "1" Piastre (?). The item is made from copper, the weight 5,40 g and the diameter 23,1 mm. What I learned is that the words includes the term "Shirkat Al-Nasr". Does anyone knows more about this token?

Thanks a lot
Dietmar
God created the ocean, we the boat. God created the wind, we the sail. He created the lull, we the paddle (African proverb)

Figleaf

First impression: Iranian bus token. Now let's see if someone can decipher the whole text...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Marcisharki

Hi Muenz-Goofy,

apparently this token was used in the 1950`s 60`s .
It is from the al-Nasr Company  which produces steel.....
(I have got one of these tokens too and the seller gave me this infomation..... ;))
kindest regards
Marcisharki
A token a day keeps the Doctor away !

Figleaf

I found an Al-Nasr steel company in Abu Dhabi. Is that the one you mean? It would date that token to after 1981, the year the company was established. Too bad they didn't use the company logo on the token. Would this be a canteen token?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

This search result seems to suggest it's Egyptian, 1950s/60s, though I got a malware warning when I tried to open it so didn't go any further:

[PDF]
List 251.vp
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
This site may harm your computer.
by AG Coins - 2010 - Related articles
IRAN: AV 5000 dinars (1.46g), Tehran, AH1334, KM-1071, ef $100. 88037. IRAN: AV ΒΌ pahlavi (2.06g), SH1337, ...... 88318. EGYPT: Shirkat al-Nasr, ca. 1950s/1960s, AE "1", "al-Nasr. Company for production and of steel pipes and their ...

Interesting if it is Egyptian, though, as from the lettering style I would have guessed Iran too ...

muenz-goofy

Thank you, Sharky, that you carried this topic back from the depths back to the surface. And, of course, thanks to everyone who is involved in the discussion about this obscure item.

Any information is welcome.

Regards
Dietmar
God created the ocean, we the boat. God created the wind, we the sail. He created the lull, we the paddle (African proverb)