Author Topic: Göteborgs Färjetrafik - Gothenburg ferry token  (Read 6240 times)

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Göteborgs Färjetrafik - Gothenburg ferry token
« on: November 04, 2012, 06:01:49 PM »
This is nowhere near as detailed as my post about the tram tokens -- I just saw this on Tradera and thought I should save the images.

The token reads 'Gothenburg ferry services - token for adults'. On the other side it's similar to the tram tokens - 'inlöses efter styrelsebeslut' means 'redeemed according to management decision'.

The ferries in question could cover either of two areas. There is a network of boats linking the south bank of the Göta älv with Hisingen, where most of the shipyards and the Volvo factories are. These boats still run today, but before the 1930s there was no bridge, so they will have been even more important.

The token may also/alternatively cover services from Saltholmen to the södra skärgård/southern archipelago from Saltholmen.

(It's interesting to note how paying for public transport here has got easier. Today you use the same payment card or month travelcard on all trams, buses, trains and boats in Gothenburg. Moreover, all but one of the tram lines and all the boats mentioned above are in the central zone, so I can travel from my flat in eastern Gothenburg to Vrångö, the southernmost inhabited island, a journey of about 90 minutes, with one 18,10 kronor fare. Back when these tokens were in use, it seems you needed a separate token for trams and ferries, and quite possibly more than one of each if your journey involved changing.)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Göteborgs Färjetrafik - Gothenburg ferry token
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 12:56:30 AM »
Simplification of tariffs is fashionable. It may well have to do with the price of labour, therefore automatic ticket collection.

In the Paris area, zones 1 and 2 have been merged. I live in zone 3 and get 1 and 2 when I buy a ticket to the edge of zone 2. The only stop in zone 4 is CdG airport, so they can squeeze some extra money out of tourists and people who have a monthly ticket for three zones (you can't buy an extension.)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 09:35:26 AM »
Smith and Smith catalogue 1981 lists this as Sweden 240 FI.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 08:20:04 PM »
More info on these, including an image of the same token as shown above but without a hole, in this thread.

Offline orsk2

• http://coins.ucoz.net
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 05:15:04 PM »
GÖTEBORGS FÄRJETRAFIK.
Visit my website http://coins.ucoz.net

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
From approximately the same period as the brass tokens above come these two, for bicycle (cykel) and child (barn) respectively.

There is also a car token, which I haven't got.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 06:35:23 PM by FosseWay »

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 06:15:50 PM »
And a later token, probably from the 1960s/70s. The spelling of FÄRJTRAFIK is unusual: you see it with an E (Färjetrafik) far more often.

Blue plastic, 21.0 mm, 0.56 g

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 06:28:18 PM »
The reason for my tentative dating of the blue token above is that it appears to be roughly contemporary in style with this one. For this I have at least an end date.

The text may be slightly difficult to read. It says on the left-hand image: Endast för anställda vid A/B Lindholmens Varv (Only for employees of Lindholmens Varv (a shipyard)), and on the right: Får ej överlåtas. Gäller endast linjerna 3 och 4 (Not transferrable. Only valid on lines 3 and 4). Lindholmens Varv was on the north bank of the river, and an annoying distance from the bridge, so the easiest way to get there from the city centre and southern part of the city was (and still is) by boat. Presumably the company or the union had negotiated a discount fare for commuters.

Originally there were five ferry routes across the river, but several were cut as more people commuted by car and after the second bridge (Älvsborgsbron) was built. In 1966 line 3 was merged with line 2 and in 1968 line 2 was itself withdrawn. This token must therefore be from before 1966, but from its style not much before.

(Source is this page about Göteborgs Hamnstyrelses ångfärjetrafik, which was fine to read when I did the research on these tokens a few days ago but now gives me a 403 Forbidden message. I have saved the Google cache version in case the page is now permanently inaccessible. Hopefully there's just some outage somewhere.)

Offline orsk2

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 06:33:15 PM »
From approximately the same period as the brass tokens above come these two, for bicycle (cykel) and child (barn) respectively.
Beauty!
I do not have these.
In what's used these tokens?

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 06:40:25 PM »
They will have been used at different tariffs from the normal adult (vuxen/vuxna) token. If the fares on the trams at a similar point are a reliable comparison, I would imagine the child fare will have been two-thirds or half the adult fare. With the cycle token there's no comparison with the trams (bikes weren't, and aren't, allowed on the trams). I don't know whether the cycle token was for a person plus a bike, or whether the cyclist had to have a vuxen (or barn) token for him/herself and a cykel token for the bike. Nowadays bikes are carried free of charge on the ferry services, subject to space.

Offline orsk2

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 07:00:54 PM »
In what years they were used?

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 07:08:51 PM »
That is a very good question and one I don't yet have the answer to. I am working on it!

By comparison with the similar tram tokens, I suspect the period 1920-1950s is most likely.

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 07:29:22 PM »
The blue plastic 21mm. ferry token GOTEBORGS FARJETRAFIK is listed by Smith and Smith (1981) as Sweden 240 FX. There is also an identical token in red plastic, Sweden 240 FW.

It was placed in use in 1965. See The Fare Box for 1965, page 139.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 10:09:59 PM »

(Source is this page about Göteborgs Hamnstyrelses ångfärjetrafik, which was fine to read when I did the research on these tokens a few days ago but now gives me a 403 Forbidden message. I have saved the Google cache version in case the page is now permanently inaccessible. Hopefully there's just some outage somewhere.)
'
I had a poke round and got into 'Ferries and barges in the Port of Gothenburg.' here This is the Google translate version.

Here it is in Swedish.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 08:55:13 AM »
That is a page I hadn't previously found, covering the boats themselves. I travel on some of those quite often! But it doesn't contain the same information as I had found earlier on the same steamboat.se site, which was more to do with the company and when different lines were introduced and withdrawn.