Author Topic: Stapling Coin Holder - Best way  (Read 4856 times)

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
Stapling Coin Holder - Best way
« on: November 03, 2012, 08:22:06 AM »
What's the best way to staple the coins to the holder,
I have seen 2 ways ... any advantages of one over other?

Any other ways ...

http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Abhay

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Stapling Coin Holder - Best way
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 09:16:54 AM »
Yes, there is another way - the way I staple.

In this particular way, the coin is held securely between the staples, and the margins are left clear to write.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 10:17:57 AM »
I had once seen a coin on ebay wherein the seller had stapled all around the coin in a circular style. Guess he had used close to around 12 staple pins on one coin holder.
Warm Regards,
Mackie

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 11:44:23 AM »
IMO either of stapling (Max  4 nos per holder) are fine unless excessive stapling may damage the holder and make it heavy & shabby.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 12:19:58 PM »
Some of the thick lumps of copper - Dams and Takkas - need minimum 6 or 7 pins.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 03:00:40 PM »
For modern world coins which aren't  too heavy, three pins (two at top and one at bottom) will also work.. (Have seen some people doing it that way)..

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 03:47:12 PM »
Depending what you mean by top and bottom...I use two at the bottom and one at the top (where it hinges). For large coins I may do 4 in the corners similar to reply 2.
Dale

For modern world coins which aren't  too heavy, three pins (two at top and one at bottom) will also work.. (Have seen some people doing it that way)..

Aditya

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 04:13:36 PM »
So I guess typically one would use 4 pins ... 3 different orientation as in pics above ...
Or use just 3 pins ... will put a picture tommorow ...

Any advantages?
The pic 1 in the 4 pin arrangement, i think the stapes are more away from coin, so any rusting of the pins is less damaging to the coins??
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 04:16:11 PM »
Depending what you mean by top and bottom...I use two at the bottom and one at the top (where it hinges). For large coins I may do 4 in the corners similar to reply 2.

Like this. ;) (Used engipress' scan for easy illustration)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 06:32:08 PM »
Yes but does the holder hinge at the top or bottom?  I put the hinge at the top.
Dale

Like this. ;) (Used engipress' scan for easy illustration)

Aditya

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 06:03:20 PM »
Yes but does the holder hinge at the top or bottom?  I put the hinge at the top.

Sorry I forgot to answer your question....

I put hinge at the bottom. The reason is that coin holders I have have a small pulling knob at other end..it makes it easy to take coin holder out of plastic sheet.

Aditya

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 06:35:47 PM »
We are going into a lot of detail about collections here!  How to staple a 2x2 is a very very specific topic indeed!  We can probably put together a PhD thesis based on all the information available here. 

I staple my holders at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o' clock.  The staple is parallel to the edge.  I try to staple 1-2 mm from the edge of the circular plastic window.  That way, the coin is securely held in place and the cardboard does not bulge.  I don't write anything on the holder, except maybe a ID number.  I have separate 2x2 tickets for the details. 

For larger coins, or thicker coins, I use six staples arranged in a regular hexagon around the plastic window.  It does not look as pretty, but protects the coin and keeps it securely in place.  Again, the staples are around 1-2 mm away from from the window edge.   
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 07:30:06 AM »
We are going into a lot of detail about collections here!  How to staple a 2x2 is a very very specific topic indeed!  We can probably put together a PhD thesis based on all the information available here.   

cmerc,

This info.  isn't that interesting and helpful to the collectors who are already doing it the right way or those who are advanced collectors but this is certainly useful for young and budding collectors like me who have just started collecting recently.

When I had started collecting, I had tons of questions like whats observe and reverse? What kind of coin holders to use? What type of coin sheets? How to staple and store my coins? but I couldn't find lot of info. on these subjects as on most of the coin forums the discussion always revolved around heavy and more imp. topics. :)

Result - I bought cheap quality currency sheets (contains PVC) that I dont use anymore. Stapled almost 150-200 world coins wrongly (wasnt aware of observe & reverse and kept the pulling knob down while stapling), bought cheap quality coin sheets (isnt happy with the quality cause it attract moisture).

I am sure this info. will surely come handly to those who have just started collecting and they will not commit the mistakes that you and I have committed in the past.

Cheers!

Warm Regards,
Mackie

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 07:46:18 AM »
cmerc,

This info.  isn't that interesting and helpful to the collectors who are already doing it the right way or those who are advanced collectors but this is certainly useful for young and budding collectors like me who have just started collecting recently.

When I had started collecting, I had tons of questions like whats observe and reverse? What kind of coin holders to use? What type of coin sheets? How to staple and store my coins? but I couldn't find lot of info. on these subjects as on most of the coin forums the discussion always revolved around heavy and more imp. topics. :)

Result - I bought cheap quality currency sheets (contains PVC) that I dont use anymore. Stapled almost 150-200 world coins wrongly (wasnt aware of observe & reverse and kept the pulling knob down while stapling), bought cheap quality coin sheets (isnt happy with the quality cause it attract moisture).

I am sure this info. will surely come handly to those who have just started collecting and they will not commit the mistakes that you and I have committed in the past.

Cheers!

It is definitely an important issue, I learned about it the hard way too, made a lot of mistakes myself.  Luckily, I got some early guidance/mentorship from my local coin dealer: Mr Avinash Ramteke in Nagpur, around 1998-2002. 

Good luck with your collection.  We are here to help, though I scarcely qualify as a savant compared to some of the members on this forum.  I always try to add new information in each of my posts, otherwise it is a waste of your time and mine.  Hopefully my previous post has helped in some way.

BTW, my coin holders have mylar windows (very important).  They look a little cloudy compared to PVC, but are quite clear nevertheless.  My coin sheets are made of polyethylene, which is much softer and flexible than PVC.  It is also cheaper, but more prone to wear and tear (being thinner and lighter). 
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 07:56:49 AM »
Yes, I learnt about all this (mylar and polyethylene material) after burning my hands. I read loads of related articles on coin and currency notes storage. I am glad that we are discussing all these not so important issues in depth on this forum and creating a database of all this information. I am very sure that all this info. will definitely help someone sometime.

Warm Regards,
Mackie