Author Topic: Chinese Inscription on Old Bridge or Ferry Token  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Kushi

• Cataloging Transport Fare Tokens of the World
Chinese Inscription on Old Bridge or Ferry Token
« on: October 30, 2012, 09:07:33 PM »
Would some learned reader be willing to provide transliteration and translations of the attached inscription from an old Chinese bridge or ferry token?

translateltd

Re: Chinese Inscription on Old Bridge or Ferry Token
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 04:30:37 AM »
Best I can do for the upper inscription at this stage is "Zhenglu Bridge Transport / 5 fen".

Not sure about the bottom one.

Offline Kushi

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 04:48:58 PM »
Thanks Martin. Appreciated. Now I'll have to find where the Zhenglu Bridge is located.

Kushi

Offline gorobert

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 12:59:29 AM »
Zheng Lu Bridge is in Changzhou, Jiangsu Province.

I will try to get more information regarding this lovely token later as I am now in a trip and cannot have enough time to check and translate.

Offline Kushi

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 12:03:38 PM »
Terrific.

The token is, indeed, beautiful and a real prize.

Kushi

Offline gorobert

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 02:22:15 AM »
The Chinese Charactor on the token means: Circulated in Zheng Lu Bridge Town area, 5 cent
The other side should be the shop or businessman who issued the token.

The 3 Chinese Charactor " Zheng Lu Qiao" which means Zheng Lu Bridge does not mean that bridge, but mean the town as the town is also named "Zheng Lu Bridge Town."

Zheng Lu Bridge Town is one suburb of Changzhou city, Jiangsu Province.
During WWII or a little before that, Japan invaded China and occupied Shanghai & Jiangsu. There are no coins supply to these area. That's why in Changzhou, there are so many tokens issued that period.
The difference is that in Changzhou area, all the tokens are issued by stores, restaurants, business industry, etc. Not by the local government or bank. So there are really lots of different kinds of Temparary Changzhou Token.

Then regarding the name" Zheng Lu Bridge" .
That is because the Bridge is built by 2 family. The first name of one family is: Zheng. The other is Lu.
In Jiangsu Province, there are many rivers. In the past, without bridge, people can only use ferry, which is dangerous sometimes. A bridge can be very important as after one bridge is built, great convenience can be brought to that area. Then economy can grow greatly in that area.
That's why people are so thankful and named the bridge as " Zheng Lu Bridge", then the town is also named "Zheng Lu Bridge Town".

Finally, here I have found more pictures of other Temparary Changzhou Token for your reference.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 02:45:05 AM »
Fascinating. A whole series of trade tokens I didn't have a clue about. Thank you for that wonderful research.

Your last token seems to be the one Kushi showed in the first post of this thread. However, it doesn't have what seems to be a counterstamp in the second illustration of that post. Can anything be said about that counterstamp?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 07:27:30 AM »
And my thanks for the clarification/correction re the Chinese legends!  I was clearly sidetracked by the notion of "transport" and thought of "circulation" in the sense of traffic rather than currency :-)

My apologies to Kushi for any confusion caused.

Offline Kushi

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 09:29:46 AM »
Terrific. Thanks gorobert for the wonderful information.

This takes  the tokens out of the transportation category and moves them into the merchant field. Ms. Konrad Frost has read the chop mark on the reverse of the first token as Da San Li fabric shop, with the incuse serial number:12195.

Offline gorobert

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 01:48:12 AM »
Hi, Figleaf,

Sorry for the confusion.
Altogether I only uploaded pictures for 4 tokens.
For the first 2 tokens, I uploaded both the obverse and reverse photo.
Then for the last 2 tokens, I only have the pictures of their obverse side.
So in fact, the last 2 pictures are for 2 different tokens.

On the reverse side, there should be the stamp to show who issued this token.