Author Topic: Token Madinah Sharif  (Read 2015 times)

Offline statmatics

• CoinQuest
Token Madinah Sharif
« on: October 29, 2012, 03:31:33 AM »
Hello again. You guys helped me immensely last time. Here is another puzzler for an old Floridian like me.

I run a web site (CoinQuest.com) that does coin appraisals. People write in and I try to answer 'what is the coin worth?' A request came in about what I believe is an Islamic token of some kind. See:

http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=12988

Please critique my work. Did I get it right? Are my statements correct?

Any and all information would be helpful.

Thanks
Paul Richards
CoinQuest
Melbourne, FL
USA

akona20

Re: Token Madinah Sharif
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 03:44:21 AM »
Hmm, from my records it is a Sunni temple token from a series they were made somewhat from around 1850 in silver and the quality declined to silver washed brass and possibly just brass in the 1940's. They were produced in Mumbai (Bombay).

I am suspecting around 28mm in diameter but the weight would also be very helpful.

Value, depending on metal of course.

Ansari

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 04:30:06 AM »
Description:  front] picture of a mosque and written 'madina shareef' in arabic. [back] following names. allah mohammad, ali haider,  hassan, hussain (in arabic) and muslim kalimah in centre.

In Margin Name of 4 caliphs is written.

Offline statmatics

• CoinQuest
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 01:55:26 PM »
Thanks all -- Please translate the caliphs names for me. The owner of the token says they are allah mohammad, ali haider, hassan, hussain. It that what is on my picture?

Ansari

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 08:40:52 PM »
Thanks all -- Please translate the caliphs names for me. The owner of the token says they are allah mohammad, ali haider, hassan, hussain. It that what is on my picture?

Owner is wrong. Kindly refer to this link.