Author Topic: Coin Holders: Self Sealing v/s Stapled Variety  (Read 13345 times)

paisepagal

Re: Coin Holders: Self Sealing v/s Stapled Variety
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2012, 05:56:02 PM »
That's am eye opener for me abhay ... Thanks !!!

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2012, 06:01:03 PM »
I still prefer Stapling to Sealing.
However, I use a Flat Clinch Stapler for stapling.
One great advantage of stapling is that, you can remove the staple and take out the coin, and again staple it.

I have been using coins holder and using stapler so far no problem of rust , further it is always easy  to take out coin for study , weighing or any more investigation.

Important point is we need to keep such coin holders away from humid areas  and regular periodical  monitoring is required for high value coins at least .

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2012, 06:18:36 PM »
Thanks Abhay for sharing the info, did not know such kind of staplers existed ...
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2012, 07:14:17 PM »
@ Dheer - Although the Flat Clinch Stapler is made in India by Kangaroo, I could not find it anywhere. So, I got it from Singapore during my last visit.

I agree, many good staplers are available for Rs. 50. BUT they are ordinary and not Flat Clinch. The staple would be rounded at the back, and it is a real problem to keep the 2X2 holders in an Album Pocket with the rounded staples at the back. If you want to put the holders in Pockets, then either you have to press down the staples with  pliers to make them flat, or better to use a Flat Clinch stapler to have flat staples at the back.

Abhay

Abhay,

You are absolutely right. I have to flatten the staple pins manually all the time. I am sure flat clinch staplers would be easily available in India but the difficult part is to explain the shopkeeper what exactly you want.  ;D

Meanwhile, here is a low cost alternative:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAX-HD-10FS-Flat-Clinch-Stapler-5colors-FREE-Staples-/160596689997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25644f044d
Warm Regards,
Mackie

Offline Rishabh Jain

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2012, 07:43:12 PM »
@ Dheer - Although the Flat Clinch Stapler is made in India by Kangaroo, I could not find it anywhere. So, I got it from Singapore during my last visit.

I agree, many good staplers are available for Rs. 50. BUT they are ordinary and not Flat Clinch. The staple would be rounded at the back, and it is a real problem to keep the 2X2 holders in an Album Pocket with the rounded staples at the back. If you want to put the holders in Pockets, then either you have to press down the staples with  pliers to make them flat, or better to use a Flat Clinch stapler to have flat staples at the back.

Abhay

I am having no problem so far with the stapler I use and it is not flat clinch. I can put it into pockets easily, only sometimes I have to pull the pocket opening a little but hey, it just takes a second or two more!!

On a side note, this topic has shown a really high class debate. Keep it going and it would be good at last to make a sticky with all the important posts.
I would like to buy the Bull Anna series.

I will also buy single coins of this series.

Please message me with your price and an image of the coin/coins.

akona20

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2012, 09:22:04 PM »
Do you wish to display your coins for easy viewing or conserve them as best as possible for viewing rarely?

Offline kena

• UK-Yank
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2012, 10:04:24 PM »
I use stapled 2x2's and put my coins in 2x2 storage boxes making sure that the storage box has at least 2 silica gel packets.

paisepagal

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2012, 03:16:38 AM »
Abhay,

You are absolutely right. I have to flatten the staple pins manually all the time. I am sure flat clinch staplers would be easily available in India but the difficult part is to explain the shopkeeper what exactly you want.  ;D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAX-HD-10FS-Flat-Clinch-Stapler-5colors-FREE-Staples-/160596689997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25644f044d

What's up with the creepy avatar ? ;D

And I'm waiting for you to show us an eBay listing in rupees  >:( ... So far I've also been pulling the pockets out a little... But this would be a nice device instead

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2012, 04:03:49 AM »
I am having no problem so far with the stapler I use and it is not flat clinch. ...

Even I use a normal stapler and flat the pins using a hammer ... without flatnening the pins, they would shortly ruin my album and the coins below them ...
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2012, 04:45:32 AM »
I use Max HD 10FL, which is a better model at the same price.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

akona20

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2012, 05:39:03 AM »
Modern spreadsheets make such coin holders rather obsolite unless you want to continually view the coins and then weight of volumes they are housed in becomes a problem as does pages becoming loose etc.

We also know that PVC has had a disasterous consequence on many coins when used as a housing and there is really no telling what the more modern plastics and even paper may do.

So for those who collect and view infrequently a good spreadsheet with all the details of each coin and a number of the coin. frankly the coins can be numbered sequentially from 1 through to anything as long as the spreadsheet is kept up to date.

The coins are then housed in numbered acid free museum archival type envelopes which are available for coins at a very cheap price. The enveloped coins are then housed in acid free achival boxes with ample silica gel added to ensure moisture is kept at bay.

All coins are photographed obverse and reverse and records are kept of these. helps if we mess things up.

When viewed coins are always handled with cotton gloves and laid out on top of their envelopes which are placed on top of archival paper sheets. Also very relatively cheap. organised viewing become a matter of file sort then coin sort and lay out.

For those with expensive coins perhaps you might buy (in modern coins) a slabbing service for each coin over a nominated figure (say $200) and they are housed in slabs in boxes of slabs and other coins from a lower value may be housed in those plastic sealable bubbles but again in their own boxes to keep things separate from contamination. In this case the slabbed coins might be number from SI onwards and the bubble type housing B1 onwards as an example.

I have seen collections devestated by PVC attack, bronze disease, iron stains from rusting staples, paper stains from various paper/cardboard type holders etc etc. All coins should be inspected at least once a year for any signs of deterioration by full visual inspection. Remember those cotton gloves. This is the cheapest, safest and most effective way of storage I have seen.

No bulky books that sit on the shelves and gather dust.

Offline Rishabh Jain

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2012, 05:59:57 AM »
Abhay,

You talk about cheaper alternatives? Here is a flat clinch stapler for ONLY RS 56 and it is from Kangaroo. The only problem is that the total order should be above Rs. 500

http://www.readers.in/kangaroo-stapler-icon.html

Here is another for Rs. 120 but then again, order should be more than Rs. 500

http://www.readers.in/kangaroo-stapler-hs-10f.html

EDIT** I found many others cheap alternatives too!! Just Google "Kangaroo Flat Clinch" and select google shopping. You will see many great things!!

Below is that google link - https://www.google.co.in/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ie=UTF-8&ion=1#q=kangaroo+flat+clinch&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=prc&sa=X&ei=iA2OUOz4Js6GrAeX4YEg&ved=0CAwQ_AUoAA&prmdo=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=9224a386752a266d&bpcl=35466521&ion=1&biw=1366&bih=653

Here is a great flat clinch stapler from Kangaroo for just Rs. 114 + Rs. 30 shipping charges but it is still cheap at Rs. 144!! Below is its link.

http://www.buytheprice.com/shop-online-deal/kangaroo-stapler-hs-10-f__26929
I would like to buy the Bull Anna series.

I will also buy single coins of this series.

Please message me with your price and an image of the coin/coins.

paisepagal

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2012, 06:08:14 AM »
excellent ! though one qt, what size staples the last link takes ? I can't make out is it the larger variety (which I'd want to avoid) ?

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2012, 06:31:06 AM »
Ashwin,

You have the item description and details now. Visit any Anupam Stationery store and I am sure you will get it.

As far as my creepy avatar is concerned, it pretty much depicts my mood this Monday morning.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Mackie

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2012, 07:08:35 AM »
Yes, I fully agree that Kangaroo Stapler is much cheaper, but as I said in my last post, it is not easily available even at some of the best stationery shops in Delhi. Yes, I also agree that I did not try the Online shopping method.

But quality wise, Max is a much much better stapler, technology wise, looks wise, you need much less effort to staple, as it has double lever mechanism. I have also found that it works perfectly well even with chinese made cheap staples (Which I had foolishly purchased from 1 Dollar store in Delhi), which, otherwise are not usable with most of the Indian Made staplers. Most of the Indian/Kangaroo staplers have capacity of 50 staples, whereas, Max can load 100 staples in a single load. I agree that at USD 10.00, it is a little costly, but believe me, it is worth the value.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY