Author Topic: Coin Holders: Self Sealing v/s Stapled Variety  (Read 13349 times)

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
Re: Coin Holders: Self Sealing v/s Stapled Variety
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 08:00:24 PM »
I just checked and I am using Kangaro munix too (blue colored box). I think in office we use max or Kangaro (green colored box) and the quality is little better.

I would rely on something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACE-70006-Undulated-Staples-Aluminum-20-Boxes-/350424399000?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5196ebfc98

Warm Regards,
Mackie

Offline @josephjk

• Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 08:19:11 PM »
Just a word of caution, (stuff I read when I first started storage in flips) if you store your coin holders stacked in a box -  stapled holders could scratch coins stacked next to them when you are putting them in or during removal.

Mayank, do those pins require a particular kind of stapler?

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 08:22:18 PM »
Ashwin,

For how long have you been using Kangaro munix? Did you use the same pins on the above posted rusted holders?  ;D ;D The following listing says that Kangaro pins have Electrogalvinzed coating that ensures high rust resistance (could be a marketing gimmick). 

http://www.yesgrid.com/store/buy-stationery-products/buy-others-essentials-stationery-products/buy-staplers-stationery-essentials-online/kangaro-staple-pin-23-10.html
Warm Regards,
Mackie

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 08:26:01 PM »
Just a word of caution, (stuff I read when I first started storage in flips) if you store your coin holders stacked in a box -  stapled holders could scratch coins stacked next to them when you are putting them in or during removal.

Mayank, do those pins require a particular kind of stapler?

Joseph,

Dont know whether they are only compatible with Ace staplers but you may check out their entire range. I am sure this brand would be easily available in your nearest Walmart or any other good stationery shop.

http://stores.ebay.com/Allied-Packaging/ACE-Staplers-Staples-/_i.html?_fsub=2092746017&_sid=8914297&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
Warm Regards,
Mackie

paisepagal

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 08:27:24 PM »
Ashwin,

For how long have you been using Kangaro munix? Did you use the same pins on the above posted rusted holders?  ;D ;D The following listing says that Kangaro pins have Electrogalvinzed coating that ensures high rust resistance (could be a marketing gimmick). 

http://www.yesgrid.com/store/buy-stationery-products/buy-others-essentials-stationery-products/buy-staplers-stationery-essentials-online/kangaro-staple-pin-23-10.html

In the last few months I've been using these and transferred the bulk of my coins to holders... So far none of them have rusted... The older rusted pins... No idea which ones those were

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 02:37:38 AM »
I'll still stick to self adhesive holders though. :) Their look is much better than all other options already discussed...

........on staple vs adhesive, i'd go for adhesive too....but not feasible for time and other factors for my needs....else I'd be all for it

I do agree and would have preferred the self adhesive ones but I had to staple the self adhesive ones when I tried fitting the Mughal and IPS coins in them............

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Ansari

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 05:35:50 AM »
I too never staple coin holders but self adhesive coin holders are not easily (and cheaply) available here so i take a mid way.

I simply glue the ordinary coin holder using rubber based adhesive Fevibond, it also helps in making them airtight.

Bond is very strong and using this i can even fit sultanate n thick coins (like kushan, Humayun's Bahloli etc) in 27 mm coin holder.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 05:52:14 AM by Ansari »

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Coin Holders: Self Sealing v/s Stapled Variety
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 06:25:53 AM »
I do agree and would have preferred the self adhesive ones but I had to staple the self adhesive ones when I tried fitting the Mughal and IPS coins in them............

I have few British £5 crowns in self sealing holders (they weigh more than 25 grams) and didn't have any problem. May be the thickness of IPS coins is the cause of the problem..very much possible.

I simply glue the ordinary coin holder using rubber based adhesive Fevibond, it also helps in making them airtight.

I tried that too, but without any success. You have to be very careful and patient (which I'm not :P) while doing that..I tried that with couple of cheap coins I had to see how it works but left trying after spending two hours without any result. :(

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Ansari

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 06:54:02 AM »

I tried that too, but without any success. You have to be very careful and patient (which I'm not :P) while doing that..I tried that with couple of cheap coins I had to see how it works but left trying after spending two hours without any result. :(

Aditya

Yes, we have to be patient and careful :).
After applying the glue (only rubber based) i leave the same for 3 minutes (for drying) before pressing them together.

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 07:45:39 AM »
I still prefer Stapling to Sealing.
However, I use a Flat Clinch Stapler for stapling.
One great advantage of stapling is that, you can remove the staple and take out the coin, and again staple it.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

paisepagal

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, 09:39:49 AM »
Yes, we have to be patient and careful :).
After applying the glue (only rubber based) i leave the same for 3 minutes (for drying) before pressing them together.

I learnt a very bad lesson with such glue on holders for not cheap coins....

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2012, 11:26:36 AM »
Ansari's method works perfectly, but only in combination with albums. I have used it for many years, having problems only when I changed glue. Over a long period, my glued cartons split apart again, but by that time, the coins fits the holder so perfectly the coin doesn't even want t fall out :)

My preferred glue is hard and white, not liquid, but in the past, I have also used liquid glue. Today, I use self-adhesives. Leave them outside an album and they come apart also.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2012, 12:35:22 PM »
@Abhay ... pretty impressive stapler ... did you get it in India ...
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Rishabh Jain

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2012, 01:23:25 PM »

I bought a great stapler for Rs 50... :P  i prefer spending my money on coins rather than a stapler....
I would like to buy the Bull Anna series.

I will also buy single coins of this series.

Please message me with your price and an image of the coin/coins.

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2012, 05:37:38 PM »

@ Dheer - Although the Flat Clinch Stapler is made in India by Kangaroo, I could not find it anywhere. So, I got it from Singapore during my last visit.

I bought a great stapler for Rs 50... :P  i prefer spending my money on coins rather than a stapler....

I agree, many good staplers are available for Rs. 50. BUT they are ordinary and not Flat Clinch. The staple would be rounded at the back, and it is a real problem to keep the 2X2 holders in an Album Pocket with the rounded staples at the back. If you want to put the holders in Pockets, then either you have to press down the staples with  pliers to make them flat, or better to use a Flat Clinch stapler to have flat staples at the back.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY