Author Topic: Coin Holders: Self Sealing v/s Stapled Variety  (Read 13348 times)

Offline Rishabh Jain

Coin Holders: Self Sealing v/s Stapled Variety
« on: October 27, 2012, 11:54:07 AM »
Yes Box can hold more than 30 coins...till now (4-5 years) staples have not rusted.
vivek

Then why do you keep only 30 coins in a box? Giving them a luxury home with lots of air to breathe? :P

I would like to know why Aditya's staples rusted and in how much time? Maybe because of your location?
I would like to buy the Bull Anna series.

I will also buy single coins of this series.

Please message me with your price and an image of the coin/coins.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 12:51:34 PM »
Stapler pins will catch rust one day, the process can be slow or fast depending on your location etc. If you are keeping your holders in air tight boxes then the process will be slow, if they are in open (like in plastic sheets) then they will rust fast. I stopped using them long back and used the stapler variety holders for a very short period of time so hard to tell how much time it will take. Having said that, I don't think there are any dealers in India who keep self sealing holders so you have to buy them from US/Europe which makes them expensive so I'd not insist to use only self sealing holders. It's up to you to decide. ;)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

paisepagal

Re: Coin Holders: Self Sealing v/s Stapled Variety
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 06:30:54 PM »
I would say about 4years or even faster.....here are some coins that have been in their holders for around 6yrs atleast....i only recently put them in the plastic sheets though, else they were just in a box....imo doesn't matter, they did their job of protecting the coins. All of the coins are near their original condition when i got them, though a couple have got a bit of toning towards the rim by virtue of being in 2x2s .... I'll probably change the holders very soon though because the rusted pins are something of an eyesore  ;)

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 06:33:33 PM »
It depends on the staple pins used ... most of the Pins in India are of poor quality and would rust fast ... if you buy good quality of stainless steel staples, these will rust slower than regular ones ... ofcourse there is still climate condition and how much of air contact is there ...

http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 06:43:38 PM »
Another option is to use good quality mylar flips. They are more expensive than stapled variety holders but cheaper than self sealing holders. I have very few coins in such mylar flips but those are BU coins in capsule and the capsule is then kept in flip..

I'll still stick to self adhesive holders though. :) Their look is much better than all other options already discussed...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

paisepagal

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 06:49:05 PM »
Yes indeed, these flips are certainly of a poorer variety.... but then there were no good options back then.... in fact, these come from a very prominent dealer in Bangalore, back when he didn't think he's in the big league now. Needless to say I will never buy from him ever again.
on staple vs adhesive, i'd go for adhesive too....but not feasible for time and other factors for my needs....else I'd be all for it

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 07:01:40 PM »
The mylar flips I have are of very good quality but again those were sent from Europe and not India. ;D I happened to get those coins that way, didn't have to pay anything extra for them..

Aditya

Offline @josephjk

• Honorary Member

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 07:09:34 PM »
I would say about 4years or even faster.....here are some coins that have been in their holders for around 6yrs atleast....i only recently put them in the plastic sheets though, else they were just in a box....imo doesn't matter, they did their job of protecting the coins. All of the coins are near their original condition when i got them, though a couple have got a bit of toning towards the rim by virtue of being in 2x2s .... I'll probably change the holders very soon though because the rusted pins are something of an eyesore  ;)

I dont care about the type of holder/ quality of pins. I am more interested in the coins inside the holders and they look simply fantastic. Superb coins, Ashwin!!
Warm Regards,
Mackie

paisepagal

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 07:11:26 PM »
Thanks Mayank  :)  and thanks for the info too Joseph .... I'm pretty happy with the holders ive been buying lately.... So if I can get aluminium pins which are not overly expensive, that would be a big help

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 07:13:35 PM »
How about aluminium staples, they would not rust..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-STAPLES-MAX-STAPLES-NO-10-5m-for-coin-flips-1-box-5000-staples-/190726563644?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6830673c

Joseph,

How do you know they are made of aluminium? I guess the seller has no where mentioned that in the listing but he has mentioned something very important  - Not Available to India :) :)
Warm Regards,
Mackie

Offline Mackie

• Mumbai, India
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 07:34:21 PM »
I am glad you are using it without any problem. Great this is what I wanted to know cause I have seen this brand in a nearby stationery shop. :)

I guess its a Chinese brand and easily available in India.

Here is a listing by a Hongkong based seller -

http://www.ebay.in/itm/New-Max-Staples-No-10-1M-5mm-Mini-1000-Staples-/180427950193

Warm Regards,
Mackie

paisepagal

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 07:37:08 PM »
The mylar flips I have are of very good quality but again those were sent from Europe and not India. ;D

Aditya

I'm afraid I don't quite understand. How will I identify this superior Mylar flip ?... Pic/ link please ... Jj collection offers pretty good accessories (I have no clue on his coin offerings though )

paisepagal

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 07:52:28 PM »
Mayank , Joseph .... Where does it say aluminium on any of the eBay listings?

I've been using kangaro munix no. 10 m ... But it doesn't state the metallic content of the pins ... Would they be aluminium ... Though it's only Rs7 for a box of 1000 pins ...