Author Topic: Edward VIII fantasy  (Read 5528 times)

Offline Vivek

• Honorary Member

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
Re: Edward VIII fantasy
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 05:10:14 AM »
A fantasy coin stuck by a private mint.

Offline Vivek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 05:12:45 AM »
Thanks Bhushan
Vivek

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 05:12:25 PM »
The e-bay page clearly mentions that this particular 'pattern' was struck in 70's by Richard Lobel (founder of CoinCraft, UK) and is listed in catalog of 'unusual coins of the world' (Read: Fantasy coins of the world)...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 10:12:38 PM »
Catalogue value is $20 for copper-nickel variety. Also comes in bronze, silver and gold varieties.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 04:45:58 AM »
I have a fair number of these Fantasy Coins, many are displayed here: http://www.tantaluscoins.com/index.php?sp=mycoins&album=3537, If the link does not works, go to www.tantaluscoins.com and earch for Fantasy UK coins.

Bruce

Offline Vivek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 05:14:03 AM »
Nice collection Bruce...Althought Fantasy coins but very nice to watch...great condition.
After viewing your collection tempted Purchase EDWARD VIII  >:D
Vivek

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 06:32:58 AM »
Not keen on fantasies either but do have this one from Jersey...

Unofficial copper "retrospective pattern" George V, Model Four Shillings 1910 by Donald R Golder after A G Wyon; From a series struck in the years 2000-2001.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 02:19:02 PM »
When I first obtained these , there was very little information about them. It took awhile to figure out what they were. Although i still have most of them, I have sold about half of the original group. I had many in the three colors.

Bruce

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 04:51:08 PM »
Not keen on fantasies either ...

Perhaps I'm perverse but I draw a distinction between different kinds of fantasies in terms of my acceptance of them.

I have less of a problem with those fantasy sets that purport to show what a Palestinian/Tristanian/Andaman coinage could look like, or what the UK's/Poland's/Sweden's euro coins could look like, than the 'historical' re-enactments such as all the Lobel Edward VIII offerings. It's partly that there's a genuinely blank canvas for the creator of the former type - if Palestine became an independent coin issuing territory, it could just as well issue the 'coins' that have been produced by third parties now as any others. In that sense, these pieces are closer to being patterns than the pseudo-historical ones.

The pseudo-historical ones are just that -- it is impossible for them to exist or have existed. But what exercises me more about them is a failure to adhere to any kind of numismatic or historical accuracy where this is possible with such pieces. Take Malcolm's Jersey 4 shillings. I have no argument with the reverse (other than the word MODEL), but there is no way the legend on the obverse would ever have existed in the British Isles. The monarch's title as king or queen of Britain was more important than that as emperor or empress of India, so the latter would never have appeared without the former. These little things bug me. Of course, if you designed a full series of Jersey coins from the 1/48 shilling to the crown to precisely match the design and composition parameters that would have been normal at the time, you run the risk of being accused of forgery, because if well done the result would not be distinguishable from the putative real thing. In other words, you'd have to know that such a coin does not exist in order to show that it's fake, and that would catch out the unwary.

Note that I have absolutely nothing against people who want to collect these -- I recognise that some of them are simply good works of art in their own right. I'm not criticising, just rather longwindedly explaining my thoughts. In any case I have quite a lot of the 'pattern euros' and 'pattern nostalgia pre-euro currencies' sets myself, having acquired them in bulk lots with other items.  :)

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
I think these were struck from the Geoff Hearn dies that used to belong to Franklin Mint. I usually have one or two of these fantasies for sale, but I'm rarely happy with them. The Donald Golder coins appeal far more to me.

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 06:36:15 PM »
This is a Lobel fantasy, plus a few hair lines.

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 10:39:46 PM »
I have 17 of these posted on www.tantaluscoins.com, search for UK - Fantasy.

Bruce

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 03:17:13 PM »
Here's another one, that was described by its seller as a "pattern" half crown. Patterns are official - this is definitely not. It a fantasy, pure and simple, so it can't even be a "half crown", because it's not money.  Look how it partly copies the reverse of Percy Metcalfe's famous UK rocking horse crown (courtesy of www.australian-coins.com)  - and mocks it by adding "2/6" - two shillings and six pence, i.e a half crown. Is the copying of a UK coin design in this fashion even legal?