Author Topic: Europa €5 Notes: Location Map  (Read 1514 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Europa €5 Notes: Location Map
« on: June 03, 2013, 01:39:40 PM »
You may know that so far the new €5 notes (Europa series) have been printed at five different locations - in Austria, Belgium, France, Italy and Spain. But of course the notes are distributed across the entire euro area. Now which printer's notes show up where?

Luís Miguel Viterbo from Lisbon has made a neat map (based on the Google Maps engine) which shows what €5 have shown up where. For the map he used Eurobilltracker reports about "Europa" notes from ATMs, about 170 so far.

http://mapsengine.google.com/map/view?mid=zyFpL3FhwlpE.ktasy0axzHS4

The meaning of the letters (first character of the printer code and the serial number):
U = Banque de France (France)
N = OeBS (Austria)
V = FNMT (Spain)
S=  Banca d'Italia (Italy)
Z = BNB/NBB (Belgium)

What I find interesting is that for Germany the map shows notes from all printers except Banca d'Italia. Also, all notes "found" in the Netherlands are not from Belgium but from Austria. :)  Keep in mind though that these results will not be statistically significant ...

Christian

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Re: Europa €5 Notes: Location Map
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 06:23:31 PM »
I'm surprised you can get 5 euro notes of any kind out of cash machines in so many places. £5 notes are exceedingly rare in UK cash machines and you absolutely never get 50 kr notes in ATMs here. (In fact, if you ask for 500 kr you always get it as one 500 kr note.) I've never had 5 euro notes in Ireland either - this may explain why there are relatively few reports from there.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Europa €5 Notes: Location Map
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 07:48:26 PM »
Well, Luís has now explained how he obtained the data - and maybe we should indeed forget about the ATMs. :)  He just wrote: "I just picked some notes from the first-europa-notes-list kindly provided by avij. I ordered the list by decreasing number of entries, assuming that big numbers were obtained almost certainly in banks or atms. I checked each of those individual links I chose, and copied the latitude and longitude from each map image's url."

What he is interested in is "starting points", ie. where were which notes released into circulation first. So if I now posted that I just found one €5 note in city X that was printed in Rome, that would not be relevant for him - some traveler could have brought that note from Italy to Germany. But if somebody went to an ATM - or bank - in the first days of the new fivers, gets fifty of those notes, twenty of which are new (2013) issues, and all twenty were printed in Madrid ... then that is significant for him.

May not be scientific at all. But fun for some. ;)

(The list that Luís mentioned, by the way, is here. But of course it is now much longer than the version that he used ...)

Christian