Author Topic: Dane Kurth  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Dane Kurth
« on: October 20, 2012, 04:49:36 PM »
Came upon a picture that was too nice not to share. One thing led to another.

If you have never heard of Wildwinds, hurry over here. It is the best site for collectors of classical coins. Two people made it so.

Dave Surber started Wildwinds, building it into a formidable web presence. When he died at age 49, an admirer wrote:

I am heartbroken. We have spoken on the phone twice over the past couple of weeks and he was so happy that he had been able to visit Greece, Italy and France just four weeks ago. He told me about his visit to Ephesus and places in Italy he had always wanted to visit.
I have no words to express my sorrow and grief at losing him at such a young age.

That admirer was Helvetica. Soon after, a barbaric idiot broke into the site and ruined its data base. That was the site's darkest hour. It was Helvetica who picked up the pieces. Not suffering from any form of "not invented here", she got the site back into shape, took over its administration, taking it to new heights. It takes determination and untold hours of labour of love to do such a thing.

So here is a picture of Helvetica, a modern heroine of classical mold.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Re: Dane Kurth
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 05:39:36 PM »
While I am not into ancient coins, that is a good story about an admirable approach. Bravo! (Well, Brava!)

Christian

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Honorary Member
  • Varus - may i show you our forest?
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 11:29:13 PM »
Found some other data, she was a sidecar racer - quite different to coin collecting stuff:

http://rocinantemecanico.blogspot.de/2012/04/surprise-guest-my-interview-with-dane.html

:)

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 01:55:18 AM »
I saw that and immediately realised that it was Dane Rowe, a lady whose sporting achievements I followed very closely in my youth. A set of leathers never looked better.

Offline redwine

• liaison officer
  • Honorary Member
  • Too old to care.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 11:05:21 AM »
Yep, she does a wonderful job!  8)
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.