Author Topic: Organization of a coin collection  (Read 9118 times)

Offline repindia

• Meritorious Member
Re: Organization of a coin collection
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2012, 01:57:56 AM »
Very interesting topic and thanks for starting it.

I think the way you display it depends on what you collect. My collection also consists of different types of coins and they require different storage and display methods.

Many of my coins are expensive and high end and keeping them in the house is a big security issue so they go in the bank vault.  :( I do have professional quality pictures taken of these and can access them from anyplace.

The machine struck coins which are not expensive do go in 2x2 cardboard holders with notations on them and in a plastic sheet for easy viewing.

The dump coins go in 2x2 envelops and are stored in boxes grouped by type and labelled, so I know where to look for a particular coin. (This works great in theory but new purchases tend to pile up in one box to be sorted at a date. This is an enjoyable activity in itself). I have heard of one Mughal collector using two 2x2 cardboard holders to store thick dumo coins but have not tried it myself. If I had a separate room dedicated for my hobby then I would have liked to have a coin cabinet myself.

Regardless of the type I am planning to photograph as many of my coins as possible and then prepare a virtual gallery of them for my viewing pleasure.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2012, 02:13:24 AM »

Regardless of the type I am planning to photograph as many of my coins as possible and then prepare a virtual gallery of them for my viewing pleasure.

Nice idea tempted me to start as well.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2012, 01:19:28 PM »
The choice of how to display your coins is probably very dependent on what you collect, because I have mostly collected hand struck dump coins then the traditional  coin trays that I use suit me better. Although they offer little protection from air impurities etc I can instantly view a whole tray just by sliding it out. I enjoy handling the coins & it wouldn't be the same if they were in packets or holders, If I collected high grade machine struck coins then I would probably need to protect them  for sure.
Vic

Offline gerard974

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2012, 03:38:42 PM »
Good evening
as my message is too long and difficult to explain in English I use a translator.  ??? ???
My collection is in 45 worksheets in alphabetical order and a workbook for each country or I have lots. I do not use cartons but original plastic covers and all the albums are in a closet. For annual pockets they are all in drawers of furniture has  part is for the classification.
For the organization I did Excel workbooks by continents and countries then with parts that I has a color and sought another, in this way I know a room close those that I owned and sought.
I'm not saying that it is the best way but it suits me well
cordially Gerard

paisepagal

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2012, 03:57:43 PM »
Good evening
as my message is too long and difficult to explain in English I use a translator.  ??? ???
My collection is in 45 worksheets in alphabetical order and a workbook for each country or I have lots. I do not use cartons but original plastic covers and all the albums are in a closet. For annual pockets they are all in drawers of furniture has  part is for the classification.
For the organization I did Excel workbooks by continents and countries then with parts that I has a color and sought another, in this way I know a room close those that I owned and sought.
cordially Gerard

Encore une fois en francais et je vais faire la traduction pour toi... Je pense que cela serait interessant de voir les differences entre ton traducteur mechanique et mon interpretation de ta commentaire  :D

Offline Abhay

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2012, 04:00:56 PM »
Encore une fois en francais et je vais faire la traduction pour toi... Je pense que cela serait interessant de voir les differences entre ton traducteur mechanique et mon interpretation de ta commentaire  :D

Now, I had to use a translator for all English reading members: ;D ;D

Again in French and I will do the translation for you ... I think it would be interesting to see the differences between your translator mechanic and my interpretation of your comment.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

paisepagal

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2012, 04:02:34 PM »
Now, I had to use a translator for all English reading members: ;D ;D

Again in French and I will do the translation for you ... I think it would be interesting to see the differences between your translator mechanic and my interpretation of your comment.

Abhay

Pas mal .... Not bad  ;D ;D

Offline gerard974

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2012, 04:07:40 PM »
Hi Again
do you arrive to read that i have writed ?
best regards  Gerard

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Organization of a coin collection
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2012, 04:32:03 PM »
BTW I forgot to mention that I have some coins kept in air tight plastic capsules (*). One disadvantage of these capsules is that they can not be kept in plastic sheets so I keep them in so called 'coin box'. The capsule must be of same size as that of coin else there will be rattling of coin which may cause scratches on coin. I didn't specifically buy the capsules, happened to receive the coins in capsules so I decided to leave them as they were. I have about 25 such capsuled coins.

*: I don't believe that these are air tight. In fact I'm 99.99% sure that they are not air tight. ;D It's a marketing gimmick IMO. The cover of the capsules can be removed easily. Such capsules are cheap too, but make sure that you are buying them from a reputed dealer else you will end up in getting low quality plastic which will again damage coins. :(

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2012, 06:18:18 PM »
Even my coins (except recent acquisitions) are kept in a bank vault.  My goal is also to photograph all my coins to create a "virtual collection".  My site (see link in my signature) was created so I can enjoy my coins wherever I may be.  However, without a D-SLR, the pictures are pretty crappy and one ends up spending a lot of time taking inferior photographs.  If I ever manage to get enough time and money, I will invest in a nice SLR.  Maybe during thanksgiving this year...

I don't believe that these are air tight. In fact I'm 99.99% sure that they are not air tight. ;D
I have some gold proof coins from the US Mint which are in capsules, perfect fits.  They are not air-tight, but doesn't matter for 0.9999 gold coins.  These capsules are mostly made for US coin sizes, so they are pretty useless for world collectors.  Also these capsule holders advertise that museums use capsules to store coins, but I haven't seen any museum use them.  Maybe in the back storage room. 

I am happy with cardboard 2x2 holders.  Only problem is ORGANIZATION of these 2x2's!

Good evening
cordially Gerard
Thanks Gerard.  Maybe a picture of your workbook to give us an idea?  A picture is worth a thousand words (any language)!
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Organization of a coin collection
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2012, 06:22:12 PM »
These capsules are mostly made for US coin sizes, so they are pretty useless for world collectors.

These capsules are available in all sizes. If you buy from an European dealer, he'll have coin capsules for euro coins..if you buy from an American dealer, he'll have all the sizes which fit for US coins and so on..

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

paisepagal

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2012, 06:54:44 PM »

Ma collection est dans 45 classeurs ou les pays sont classés par ordre alphabetique,et pour les pays ou j’ai beaucoup de pieces ,un classeur par pays.
Je n’utilise pas les cartons mais les pochettes plastiques d’origine. Pour les pochettes annuelles elles sont dans un meuble special a tiroirs
Pour l’organisation j’ai fait un classeur Excel ou le classement est fait par continents et par pays avec une couleur pour les pieces que je possede et une autre pour les pieces recherchées,de cette manière je sais exactemet a la piece pres celles que je possede
Je ne dis pas que c’est la meilleure des façons mais c’est celle qui me convient le mieux
Cordialement  Gerard

From gérard....
My collection is spread across 45 files where the countries are classified in alphabetical order, and for the countries which I have many coins, a separate file for them. I don't use 2x2s but put them in the plastic covers (capsules ?). For the annual capsules, I have a furniture (cabinet ?) with special drawers.
As far as organisation is concerned, I have created am excel file in which the classification is done by continents and by countries with one colour for coins that I already have, and another for those which I still am looking for. In this way, I know exactly which piecesi have (or not)
I don't say that this is the best method, but it has proven the most convinient for me

I think gerard uses a similar filing cabinet like capnbirdseye ... I would be very interested to see this too ! Gérard, quelques photos de ton tiroir s'il te plait !  :D

Offline gerard974

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2012, 04:56:09 AM »
Hello
The photos are not very nice,but is a little beat of my albums ;the year set for french euros,one book opened and coins from Argentina more one example of my Excel file
best regards  Gerard

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2012, 08:56:54 AM »
Great Photos ... nicely organized !!!
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

paisepagal

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2012, 09:47:57 AM »
Gerard, I'm doing something similar ! Which are those coins in the second last picture ? They look very attractive !