Author Topic: Organization of a coin collection  (Read 9117 times)

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
Re: Organization of a coin collection
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 07:42:46 AM »
Hi Dale!  Good to hear your opinion.  Collecting for education is an interesting idea, it never occurred to me.  Initially, I was young and just fascinated by the shiny silver and ancient looking copper coins (gold was beyond my reach).  Then, I thought that maybe I will discover some great unknown coins, publish some papers, advance human knowledge.  Unfortunately, far more dedicated people have spent their lives doing the same and there is little room for contributions from an amateur on a budget.  So now, my objective is to get as close to a complete collection of British India (with decent grade coins) without spending a fortune.

I don't necessarily want to display my coins (it attracts thieves), but want to organize it to save time and effort as my collection grows.  I do like Abhay's idea of display cases.  Maybe I will make one for myself to appreciate my new acquisitions before they are exiled to the bank vault :(   

Like you, I do enjoy talking about my collection with friends with similar interests.  Joining this forum has been the best thing I have done for my "collection life".  The expertise and experiences on this forum is awesome!

P.S. I do tend to go a bit off-topic after some wine.
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Organization of a coin collection
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 09:18:11 AM »
I keep my coins in 2 x 2 self adhesive coin holders and then keep the holder in plastic sheets..And then I keep the plastic sheet in album. (Exactly same way as asm)..I don't like the look of stapled variety of holders so I strictly use PVC free self adhesive holders. They are not available in India so have to order them from Europe so it's bit expensive but not a big issue as the stapler pins tend to catch rust fast, especially in humid conditions. I must add that every kind of holders (self adhesive, stapled variety or even mylar flips) have their own pros and cons so there's no such thing as 100% perfect storage. ;)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 02:31:15 PM »
Hi Dale!  Good to hear your opinion.  Collecting for education is an interesting idea, it never occurred to me.

For instance, I am not likely to get to travel to India or Bangladesh. I just know I would love it but it isn't likely to happen. So if I get a nice looking coin from say Bangladesh and I notice it has a bridge on it, then I try to discover which bridge, where it is and search the internet for pictures. Great fun, educational and a poor man's way to travel.

Like you, I do enjoy talking about my collection with friends with similar interests.  Joining this forum has been the best thing I have done for my "collection life".  The expertise and experiences on this forum is awesome!

It is the best part  ;D

P.S. I do tend to go a bit off-topic after some wine.

You and me both!   ;)
Dale

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 04:31:23 PM »
Another point I would like to make is that in coin collecting in general, storage or display I do not have a habit, rule or method that I don't break or that there are not exceptions to. I am consistently inconsistent! Wouldn't have it any other way.

Dale

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 08:30:02 PM »
From this board, it seems that there is no perfect way of organizing a collection.  For now, I will just try to keep monarchs and denominations together in the same sheet.  Will not worry about year or mint.  The online list of coins should help keep track of that. 

Thanks for the discussion folks.  Still interested in more new ideas!

Offline Vivek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 03:43:48 PM »
One more method..
I keep my coins in coin holder and about 30 coins in box..
Vivek

paisepagal

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 06:18:50 PM »
Heres something my friend does which I think is really neat when you show your coins to people who do not collect

For some reason the pic isn't getting embedded... So you'll have to look at this link

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,16848.msg117014.html#msg117014

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 07:12:23 PM »
One more method..
Vivek

I was trying to look for such a box but couldn't find one that was made of good quality plastic ... only recently I was one in Mumbai exhibition however I did no like the quality
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Rishabh Jain

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 07:49:27 PM »
One more method..
Vivek

Why just 30 coins in a box when a box can hold over 80 coins? Also, don't the staples get rusted?
I would like to buy the Bull Anna series.

I will also buy single coins of this series.

Please message me with your price and an image of the coin/coins.

Offline Sicador

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2012, 05:07:07 AM »
These are also good, I usually keep common coins in these type of holder (it saves space) and others in album..

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-2x2-Coin-Storage-box/dp/B001NG6Y6Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351307176&sr=8-1&keywords=coin+holder+box

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2012, 05:17:42 AM »
I have some boxes similar, but cardboard not plastic but the only thing I put in them are coins for trade or extras that are pretty much worthless financially. Most coins I use 3 ring binders and 20 pocket pages. Others I use commercial albums. Unfortunately commercial albums are not as good as they should be and are limited in subject or extent. For valuable coins, of which I have very few, i don't know what to do with them.
Dale

These are also good, I usually keep common coins in these type of holder (it saves space) and others in album..

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-2x2-Coin-Storage-box/dp/B001NG6Y6Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351307176&sr=8-1&keywords=coin+holder+box

Offline Vivek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2012, 09:47:11 AM »
Why just 30 coins in a box when a box can hold over 80 coins? Also, don't the staples get rusted?
Yes Box can hold more than 30 coins...till now (4-5 years) staples have not rusted.
vivek

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2012, 06:26:54 PM »

True but for someone in India, the shipping kills ...
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Sicador

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2012, 12:20:20 AM »
Let me know if any of your friend is coming from US, I can help you out..

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 11:52:36 PM »
Yes Box can hold more than 30 coins...till now (4-5 years) staples have not rusted.
vivek
Get staples that are a little more expensive (coated/plated), non ferrous if available.  I have heard bad things about the self sealing adhesive, hearsay, no scientific facts yet.  So I am avoiding those.  Also coins with patina, green spots apparently need to breathe (???). 

Regarding organization, I have a few boxes (cardboard).  However, I can't really view and appreciate my coins in boxes, so use the boxes to store duplicates and low grade coins I am embarrassed by.  Also the very thick dumpy coins that I can't fit into plastic 20 pocket sheets (think Bombay presidency copperoons, dump pice and double pice).