Author Topic: Organization of a coin collection  (Read 9119 times)

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
Organization of a coin collection
« on: October 18, 2012, 09:01:38 PM »
Hello All,

Most of the topics on this thread seem to deal with cleaning and storage of individual coins.  No one talks about organization, imo, an important topic!  I believe organization should be approached with the following objectives:

(1) Keep it dynamic - allow addition of new coins, remove or upgrade existing coins, space for duplicates, follow a certain ordering/grouping, etc. 
(2) Should allow easy viewing for regular appreciation!

I was wondering if you have figured out a good way to organize your collection.  Please share your thoughts and ideas.

I collect British India coins and use 2x2 cardboard holders (mylar!!) and keep them in 20 pocket polyethylene sheets, max 10 coins per sheet.  I don't write anything on the holders but use the remaining 10 pockets for square 2x2 paper tickets, with details about the coin.  However, as I get more coins, I frequently have to reorder and take all coins out of the holders and put them back in again, which is time consuming.  I try to follow the ordering provided by Pridmore, even though he does not include a lot of local mint issues. 

I tried using boxes, but then I can't really view them properly.  And it is easy to jumble up the tickets in a loose box.  The slabs I stash in smaller ziplocs, and then put them inside a bigger ziploc  :(  I also maintain an online list of the coins I own, so I don't end up purchasing duplicates. 

Any ideas on how to efficiently organize growing collections?   Also, do any of you guys display your coins?  Can you share some pictures of your coin cabinets? 
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
Re: Organization of a coin collection
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 09:42:08 PM »
Sorry, wrong board!  Should be moved to

World of coins »
    Collecting coins and adjacent hobbies »
    Coin collecting »
    Cleaning, conservation and storage

Offline Abhay

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 02:05:49 AM »
Even I store my coins in 2X2 holders, with holders being put in 20 Pocket sheets.

For the Exhibitions, I have 20 Cabinets, made of wood and glass. The size of each cabinet is such that it can display 4 sheets of 20 holders, in 2 horizontal and 2 vertical. The only problem with these cabinets is the weight, because of they being made of wood. I got them made locally by a carpenter, and the top is made of 3 mm glass sheet.

Another advantage of these cabinets is that you can display any thing like coins, medals, notes etc. I secure them by using a lock in each cabinet.

A better idea would be to use Aluminium section in place of wood, and replace Glass by Polycarbonate sheet, which would make them much lighter and easy to handle.

Abhay

PS: I moved the topic to the appropriate place, as desired. :) :)
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 03:42:23 AM »

A better idea would be to use Aluminium section in place of wood, and replace Glass by Polycarbonate sheet, which would make them much lighter and easy to handle.

Lot of light weight materials are available now a days for displays during exhibitions , wooden cabinets are more safe  & reliable  but one has to handle additional weight during  their movements and displays.

I too store coins in 2 X 2 holders but notes are just kept in lockers .

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

paisepagal

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 04:12:00 AM »
I was thinking of starting a similar topic !
Nowadays I'm just content to transfer my coins to albums.... But that still leaves me in question when dealing with coins that come in capsules or so some sort of packaging ... How best to organize those ?

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 07:04:30 AM »
Thanks for the pics Abhay.  The cabinets look really nice and you have some very good notes, coins, and medals.  Unfortunately, here in the US, having custom made cabinets would cost a fortune.  Labour is affordable in India.  I may end up trying to make them myself, as a home project sometime in the future. 

However, how do you guys organize your coins?  I have attached some pics of how I store mine.  As you can see, the organization soon becomes terrible as I keep shoving in 2x2's wherever I find empty space.  Most of my sheets are housed in a bank vault.  There must be a good efficient way!  The ordering in albums descends into chaos very quickly.   What do the people with large collections do??

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 04:32:37 PM »
Even I store my coins in 2X2 holders, with holders being put in 20 Pocket sheets.

For the Exhibitions, I have 20 Cabinets, made of wood and glass. The size of each cabinet is such that it can display 4 sheets of 20 holders, in 2 horizontal and 2 vertical. The only problem with these cabinets is the weight, because of they being made of wood. I got them made locally by a carpenter, and the top is made of 3 mm glass sheet.

Another advantage of these cabinets is that you can display any thing like coins, medals, notes etc. I secure them by using a lock in each cabinet.

Abhay

PS: I moved the topic to the appropriate place, as desired. :) :)

Abhay,
Disappointed / Heartbroken to see that you have folded the proof set .... aagh ... how could you  :o
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 04:36:36 PM »
I use the standard 2x2 with sheet ... well since I know the theme i want to pursue ... after I get sufficient coins, I simple arrange them leaving a place holder for the coins that I don't have ... this makes it easy to physically check / verify if I do have something, [ofcouse I do have an XLS ...] but also avoids frequent arranging ...

For some of the theme's I want to put them away in a 2x2 box, but here in India we don't get these boxes, only recently few manufacturers are coming out with the boxes, but these are of cardboard ... so
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 06:11:31 PM »
I used to keep my 2x2's in cardboard boxes.  But soon I ran out of boxes, and it is hard to see your coins in boxes, and the tickets get jumbled up easily.  Boxes are not the best way...  Now I use the boxes for duplicates and low end coins. 

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 06:15:08 PM »
ved the topic to the appropriate place, as desired. :) :)

Abhay, can your cabinets be hanged vertically on a wall, or do you have to keep them horizontal/inclined?  Are there racks in your cabinets for the coins to rest on, or do they simply rest on the back wall? 

Ansari

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
I too use 2x2 coin holder but instead of stapler i use Fevibond Adhesive to glue them together, it makes the coin holder airtight.

Offline Abhay

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 08:08:36 PM »
Abhay,
Disappointed / Heartbroken to see that you have folded the proof set .... aagh ... how could you  :o

Don't be disappointed, as I have some spare UNC sets that I use for the Exhibitions.   :) :)

Abhay, can your cabinets be hanged vertically on a wall, or do you have to keep them horizontal/inclined?  Are there racks in your cabinets for the coins to rest on, or do they simply rest on the back wall? 

No, they are too heavy to be hanged on a wall, they have to be kept flat on a table. There are no racks, the sheets are just kept flat on the surface.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 10:12:01 PM »
Old fashioned coin cabinet for me, now in total disarray as I am reorganising the original collection & there are coins all over the place  ;D
Vic

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 03:03:57 AM »
I think that in the cool non toxic unpolluted European / English atmosphere, this is the best way. You can get a good feel of the coins whenever you feel like it. Unfortunately, out here in India, pollutants, dust etc ensure that the coins have to be better protected, especially the copper ones....I have also seen Salvete's collection (part of it) was stored in small envelopes with the description of the coin written on the top and then stored in cardboard boxes. However, he always recommended the trays as mentioned by Capn. as the best way to store coins.

My collection is stored in 2X2 cardboard holders inserted in the plastic leaves and then fixed in albums........

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 05:28:00 AM »
You guys make me look like the poor pauper from the next neighborhood over.  First of all I do not display coins...well I have a few coin plaques in my office but those are crap coins.  They look good but are not fit for a real collector, they are meant solely for display.

Secondly I do not buy expensive coins, I collect for fun but mostly for the educational oportunity the coins offer and the experience of chasing them and finding them and getting them. Ocassionally I will pick an area for research and pursue that for a while. Ownership of them means nothing to me. Displaying them means nothing to me, the chase and the education is my goal.

Actually for me the most important part of collecting is the contact and friends I have made in trading. Swapping emails and daily experiences is to me the best part of collecting.

I can post a coin here and say whoo hoo! Look what I got! I am proud to find it and had great fun chasing it, but I am not proud to own it. Once I have it I am off to the next chase.

Therefore pride of ownership and pride in displaying them is foriegn to me and I try hard to understand that attitude. I just don't understand it but I do recogonize each of our right to pursue OUR hobby in any manner we see fit.

I bet it has been 30 years since I took a binder down and actually admired my possesions. Once I have a coin I rarely ever even look at it again to admire it for its own sake. I do examine them for clues and for education.

Organization:
I organize coins by my definition of a country, by date or sometimes by time period, and ocassionally by theme or rarely by denomination.  It is never consistent, it depends on my goal for that series. I put them in 2x2 Mylar holders and in 20 pocket to the page holders and into 3-ring binders by generally alphabet.  Once an alphabet such as "G" get too big, I will break out into countries in their own binder like Great Britain, Gibraltar, Greece etc...

Organization:
I suspect that is as varied as the number of individuals but no doubt some of us do it similar.

Dale