News:

The Grand Event: an all-stars happening. Make sure you don't miss it!

Main Menu

Sweden: Liseberg värdemärke

Started by FosseWay, October 10, 2012, 06:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FosseWay

This token from Liseberg, Scandinavia's largest amusement park, hasn't travelled very far -- I picked it up in a junk tray in a bookshop in Gothenburg yesterday.

Brass, 19.7 mm, 3.31 g.

These days if you go to Liseberg and want to try your hand at shooting cowboys, grabbing bananas or throwing balls at coconuts, you use ordinary 10-kronor coins, whether given to the attendant or put in a slot. You can exchange notes for handfuls of tior free of charge, or bring your own. Evidently in the past you exchanged your voucher, or actual money, for a token -- I guess this meant that all the money someone changed on site stayed there, whereas with real coins you can take them away and spend them elsewhere.

What's intriguing about this is that clearly the denomination has been erased so that the token could still be used when the price per attraction went up. IMO the missing digits are 25 -- there are small parts of the two digits visible at the top of the obliterated area. That would presumably mean 25 öre. I forget precisely when 25 öre coins (and femöringar at the same time) went out of use, but it was sometime in the early 80s.

Can anyone set a more precise date to this, and does anyone know anything about the small dot-in-star mark, presumably a maker's mark?

Figleaf

So many questions, so few answers available. I agree on 25. From the style of the token, I would date it late 50s or early 60s. Maybe the use of "värdemärke", rather than "valorpollet" gives a further clue? The 25 öre pieces would not have bought you much in the way of amusement long before the 80s. Other Liseberg tokens were made by Sporrong, but I haven't found this mark on their site.

For once, things may have been better than you think. You seem to assume the tokens were non-redeemable. Maybe the issuers rather hoped that they wold not be redeemed. However, their primary purpose was a service to customers who didn't have a mountain of 25 öre pieces on entering the park or as a way not to have to stock mountains of small change for customers or a way to reduce the risk of change-giving machines being attacked for their monetary content.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

I agree about the likely date -- similar to all those 25 øre Danish tokens from Tivoli etc. that we've seen on here. As to 'värdemärke' etc, I don't know. My only observation in this area is that the more recent a token is, the less likely it is to state the obvious, that it is a token. This applies as much to English-language pieces as Swedish, and probably to other languages I'm less familiar with as well. The Bally tokens that crop up a lot here simply say 'Endast för förströelse' (for amusement only) and take it as given that they are tokens for a specific purpose rather than coins.

You may well be right about their use. But the problems of people not having mountains of the relevant denomination of coin, and therefore of having to provide change machines that are vulnerable to theft, still exist, and indeed may be worse now, since people use coins less and are less likely to have enough tiokronor about their person for an evening's entertainment. (The change machines are all inside the park, btw, which you have to pay an entry fee for and pass through a turnstile, which presumably makes them more secure.) I wonder why they've done away with tokens now and prefer to use normal coins?

malj1

I thought I had an un- molested? one; still seeking...  ;D

Another Liseberg here Liseberg 'VALORPOLLETT' token 

and another Swedish token?
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

FosseWay

Here's an unmolested one -- freshly received:

malj1

This confirms the denomination, now we just have to attribute the small dot-in-star mark, as you say presumably a maker's mark.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

FosseWay

And here's a 10-öre equivalent.

Interestingly, the same reverse, with that distinctive style to the numbers, was used on a similar token that I saw in a Tradera lot that I unfortunately didn't win. The other side wasn't Liseberg but rather a generic token for use during the jubilee celebrations in 1923 (the 300th anniversary of Gothenburg's founding). This may help to date the Liseberg piece, though of course the same style of reverse could have been in use for ages.

FosseWay

Here's a 25 öre vinstmärke (winner's token). I presume that this was paid out for a win on a games machine or similar, whereas the värdemärken illustrated above were what you exchanged your outside money for in order to pay for rides etc.

Brass, 23,2 g, 4,97 g