Author Topic: Pigs on coins  (Read 16448 times)

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
Re: Pigs on coins
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2010, 01:20:12 AM »
That one has been on my list to get for a long time but I never sat down and looked for one. 
Dale

Here's a whole side of Bacon.

PM standing for Pobjoy Mint of course ;D

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2010, 01:37:34 AM »
Here is an Austrian token dated 1947.  There are at least a half a dozen similar to this with the sitting pig on the front.  Most have a pig elf and mushroom on the back and most are not dated although several dates are known.  23mm and made of zinc, all are easy to get but all are very difficult to get in good condition.

Dale

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2010, 02:01:49 AM »
You suspected it exists, well, here it is. Miss Piggy on an elongated cent. Taadaa.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Ukrainii Pyat

• Collector of everything numismatic
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2010, 02:55:15 AM »
And here's a pig as pre-food on an FAO issue in the name of Tonga. Not too many vegetables around on this coin.

Peter

Back a monarch or two in Tonga, they tended to have some of the most voluminously challenged individuals in all of the world's rulers.  In fact I think their most recent decedent monarch at one time weight 450lbs or something.  It was one of those places in the world where large sized apparently meant wealthy or something.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2010, 03:48:22 AM »
I think it fairly easy to understand how being...uhhh...large could be a sign of prosperity and having the favor of the gods.
After all if you are starving to death or very skinny, you must have angered some god somewhere, sometime.

Dale

Back a monarch or two in Tonga, they tended to have some of the most voluminously challenged individuals in all of the world's rulers.  In fact I think their most recent decedent monarch at one time weight 450lbs or something.  It was one of those places in the world where large sized apparently meant wealthy or something.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2010, 03:25:25 PM »
Not my coin but I think I may bid on one soon.
Dale
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 03:49:08 PM by <k> »

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2011, 10:47:32 PM »
Speaking of pigs  ;) :D ;D

Here is a link to an interesting pig (non-coin or medal) I got from a link in another thread.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Carousel_pigs_Gr%C3%B6na_Lund.jpg

May sound strange but I would like to have one of those  :o

Dale

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2011, 01:02:53 AM »
You Texans must have really big houses :). Did you mean you wanted the piggy or the carrousel? The latter wil make you very popular with the neighbourhood kids...

Peter
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:09:31 AM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2011, 01:06:01 AM »
The entire carousel would be very nice to have but an individual piggy would be more reasonable  :)
Neither is going to happen but looks like fun!

Dale

You Texans must have really big houses :). Did ou mean you wanted the piggy or the caroussel. The latter wil make you very popular with the neighbourhood kids...

Peter

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2011, 03:20:38 AM »
Niue.  ;D

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2011, 03:38:08 AM »
I am aware of the Niue coin and that is a very nice design.  Wish it were a circulating coin or a token or a medal....
Never the less, very nice!

And the Wolfie to the left doesn't look like much of a threat  ;)

Dale

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2012, 06:09:51 PM »
Maybe the most interesting pig on a coin isn't. The Rupee 1911 has George V wearing a clumsily designed order of the elephant, with short, stubby legs and a short tail, known as the pig. Numismatic legend has it that the Indians objected to the pig. In view of colonial relations it may have been the other way around: Indians snickering about the king with the pig around his neck and colonial powers that be appalled at the coin.

The illustration is from KM.

Peter

The stupidity of religious dogma  ::)  What most people probably didn't realize at the time was that there were several coins issued by local kingdoms that had pigs (or boars, to be precise).  The boar was also the emblem of the Chalukya.  Furthermore, Vishnu transformed himself as a boar as one of his re-incarnations (Varaha).  There are so many examples of Indian coins where boars are the main feature of the coin.  Anyway, see the following coin that was auctioned off a while back.  This one is somewhat rare.  Notice the swastika on the reverse:

Western Chalukyas of Kalyania. Pagoda, ND (973-1068AD). Fr-265.
Obverse: Boar standing right.
Reverse: Trident, floral symbols and lamps each side.

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins