Author Topic: Cleaning Silver coins with Brasso  (Read 15579 times)

Offline Abhay

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
Cleaning Silver coins with Brasso
« on: October 10, 2012, 11:46:41 AM »
Often, we get Silver coins, covered with Black Dirt and Grease, which look unattractive. They also hide the details on the coins.

I generally use Brasso, to remove the grease and dirt on the coins.

Is it OK to use Brasso to remove the grease on the coins? Generally, I have seen that if there was any Patina on the coin, the patina is also removed from the coin. So, I never use it for the old coins, having Patina on them.

An example is shown here, for the Victoria queen coin.

Your comments please.

Abhay

(The Coin to the left is the cleaned one)
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Cleaning Silver coins with Brasso
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 12:10:17 PM »
Brasso is an abrasive product. It achieves its effect by removing the upper part of the silver. Yes, it will get rid of sediments, but at the cost of dulling of the image that cannot be repaired. It also gives an unnatural, bluish shine, but with time and pollution, that will go away.

There is a whole arsenal of techniques that are not abrasive available for cleaning silver coins. Which one is the most proper depends on what you want to clean away, so determining what is on your coin is key. It looks like your Victorian rupee was covered with a mixture of solidified dust and oxydation (the black parts remaining after the Brasso treatment.) The dust may be solved with water and soft soap. Silver oxyde is hard to remove without abrasives. If the dirt does not react to water and soap, Bruce's magic soda potion could have helped.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 02:31:47 PM »
Usually I have seen brasso at all handicraft showrooms selling brass idols , dishes & other brass artifacts.

As the name itself is self explanatory brasso is normally used for purpose of cleaning brass metal products  . I'm not sure if recommendation given on the container of brasso to clean silver articles as well.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline aarkay

• Errors....Errors.....and Errors
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 04:46:53 PM »
Hi…

Yes….. Brasso is for brass articles….but for cleaning silver idols, lamps etc. I use any ordinary tooth powder like Colgate….it gives good results…I have tried it on British India silver coins…it works and there are no scratches as the powder is silky smooth…better to test clean on a not so valuable silver coin and see the results…further after cleaning place the coin in an air tight plastic bag so that there is no contact with air as air will make coin again dim…

Aarkay
Why worry about dead yesterdays and unborn tomorrows….live in the present…a present for you today…

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 09:28:23 AM »
Toothpaste also destroys patina and gives an unnatural shine. It takes much time to restore patina and in capsules, the patina will not be restored at all. There are better and safer ways to clean. They take more time, but collectors should know how to be patient.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 05:48:37 PM »
Even on brass articles, Brasso should be used with caution. As said, it works by abrading the metal, removing the surface layer of oxide plus whatever stuck-on crud there might be. The abrasive nature of the polish is obvious if you use it on a coin (of whatever metal) because it wears down the design and there's something to compare the wear to. But if you polish something with a smooth surface, such as a motor car lamp or a trumpet, you are still removing the surface. Eventually you will wear through the metal.

When I was a lad I had a Saturday job at a mechanic's garage where old cars were restored. His speciality was pre-1920 cars, which used to have huge amounts of brass, plus lights and other accoutrements that were bolted onto the car rather than being integrated into its design as such elements tend to be on modern cars. These cars were already 80-odd years old and had been polished for that whole time. The guy I worked for was insistent that I (or anyone else) should only use Brasso on the lamps as a preliminary polish on lamps that had sat getting cruddy for years. For lamps that were already well cared for but were just a bit dirty, soap, water, clean dry towels and plenty of patience were the required tools.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 10:45:32 PM »
I am so  scared of cleaning my coins that I don't even do it no matter how tempting it is.  I would rather send it to NGC for cleaning/grading as opposed to doing it myself, but I haven't done that yet.  I only have one or two coins I would even consider sending to NGC in my collection.  One being a 1840 Rupee like the one above and a Tiruvannamalai coin that has heavy patina which makes it really dark...

Ram
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Abhay

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 01:53:18 AM »
Thanks a lot for all the replies.
Principally, even I don't clean my old silver coins, meant for my collection. But I do use Brasso often to clean common old silver British India Coins, which I had purchased about 7-8 years ago, in lots, at almost silver prices. Since most of these coins came from circulation, they are covered with dirt and grease. Since they are not very rare or costly coins, I clean them to find the different varieties among them,

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Ansari

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 06:34:03 AM »
I generally use Shock treatment  (learned from Peter) for coins i.e heating them up and suddenly dipping them in cold water.
Deposits like grease paint and other similar things are generally burnt during the process and can easily be brushed out.
Sand and other deposit also loose their grip due to sudden expansion n contraction.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 08:54:42 AM »
Ansari, I'm intrigued. How hot do you have to heat them? Will boiling water do or does it have to be hotter and/or drier, e.g. in the oven? And doesn't the latter process make the coins change colour? The blade of my penknife has never been the same colour since I heated to sterilise it before performing an invasive procedure on my foot in the back of beyond. It's gone a not unattractive dark blue, but I'm not sure I'd want my coins to go that colour.

Ansari

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 10:56:54 AM »
Ansari, I'm intrigued. How hot do you have to heat them? Will boiling water do or does it have to be hotter and/or drier, e.g. in the oven? And doesn't the latter process make the coins change colour? The blade of my penknife has never been the same colour since I heated to sterilise it before performing an invasive procedure on my foot in the back of beyond. It's gone a not unattractive dark blue, but I'm not sure I'd want my coins to go that colour.

I heat them directly over gas flame till the deposits like greece, paint etc are burnt( Now thats the matter of experience).
Copper & silver won't change colour unless u overheat them. Even if they, can be turned back into original with the help of mild cleaning.

Blade is made up of steel i guess, so heating will change its colour.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 07:04:23 AM »
Well if one is using the ordinary gas at home ... then ensure that the burners are clean and the color of flame is blue and not yellow ... yellow flame indicates impurities in the gas and can damage the coins ... blue flame is more pure ...
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 10:06:43 AM »
I have to say I'd never tried heating silver or copper over a gas flame, and had presumed it would have similar affects as it does on steel, as mentioned. But in any case here I don't have gas, so I can't try.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 01:29:56 PM »
I heat them directly over gas flame till the deposits like greece, paint etc are burnt( Now thats the matter of experience).

Grease and paint can easily be removed with paint remover, here this is obtainable in a small pressure pack container which helps considerably; wait five minutes then wash off in warm soapy water.

I would never, ever, use Brasso, a complete and definite no-no!  ::)
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 02:08:23 PM »
Malcolm is quite right. Paint can be removed by acetone (paint removers may contain other ingredients). Grease is best removed by soft soap, which will solve the grease and any acids.

While it is certainly possible to heat coins by an open flame, it is also risky. If you come too close, the metal may be discoloured. To avoid risk, you can use hot water to heat up the coin and iced water to cool it. Such treatment will indeed loosen layers of crud, so that the famous wooden toothpick can remove hardened dirt/grease and sand.

These methods should also work on BI rupees to dig out details hidden by dirt without damaging the coin. As a bonus, by practicing on the rupees, you acquire experience and confidence for cleaning more expensive coins without damaging them.

Peter