Author Topic: Advertisers - Oldfields Rd, Sutton, Surrey, England  (Read 1106 times)

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
Advertisers - Oldfields Rd, Sutton, Surrey, England
« on: October 05, 2012, 10:54:40 PM »
Here I present a group of 5 tokens. All are advertisers, 1 inch diameter and of Brass. The first is a "flipper", the rest are "spinners". A clear link between Franklin Mint (in th UK) and Pobjoy Mint is suggested by the tokens.

The first piece is the Franklin Mint flipper.

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
Re: Advertisers - Oldfields Rd, Sutton, Surrey, England
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:56:04 PM »
The second piece is a spinner advertising "Mint Wedding Rings" who I believe to have been part of or a predecessor of Pobjoy Mint - not sure. The reverse reads "YOU PAY".

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 10:57:16 PM »
The third piece advertises "Franklin Mint". It is a spinner and has the same "YOU PAY" reverse as the "Mint Wedding Rings" piece above.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:09:21 PM by africancoins »

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 11:02:03 PM »
The fourth piece advertises "Pobjoy Mint". It is a spinner and has the same "YOU PAY" reverse as the "Mint Wedding Rings" piece. Notice that the obverse is very similar to that of the "Franklin Mint" spinner above.

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 11:03:15 PM »
The fifth piece is a second "spinner" advertising "Pobjoy Mint". Notice it is newer, having a telex number and a revised telphone number. The reverse reads "YOUR TURN".

The first four pieces shown here all have telephone number "01 644 6114". Address similarities throughout the group are also easy to notice. So what was the link between the Franklin Mint (in the UK) and Pobjoy Mint ?

Thanks Mr Paul Baker
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 02:49:15 AM by africancoins »

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 12:31:46 PM »
I now have two of those pieces shown above, these were promotion pieces from the Franklin Mint and used by Derek Pobjoy as calling cards.

Apparently Franklin mint and Pobjoy mint are one and the same, Franklin took over in some way.

Edited to add: these were in storage since 1978 so this gives a latest possible date.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 06:29:28 AM by malj1 »
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.