1 franc 1924

Started by FosseWay, October 04, 2012, 07:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FosseWay

I was going through a large box of French duplicates looking for previously overlooked varieties. One of the ones I was after was the 'closed 4' variety of the 1924 1 franc. I'm not entirely sure whether the coin illustrated below is the closed variety or not -- it's not as clearly closed as, say, the 'closed 9' on 1945-50 5 francs. But that's by the by. In the process of examining all my 1924 francs under a lens, I spotted that the coin shown below appears to be odd in another way. The artist's name on all other coins in this series, regardless of date varieties, reads DOMARD on the left and INV. on the right. This one clearly is missing the V and the stop on the right.

Is this a recognised variety, an error, or what? And for the sake of completeness, is that a closed 4?

Figleaf

Dirty die, I think. A fun error that will clog up small details. At very high magnification, you may see a shadow of the missing V.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

gerard974

Hello
Is the photo of the coins with 4 closed

Best regards  Gerard

FosseWay

Ah, yes, that clears it up -- mine's definitely open in that case. Thanks!

Globetrotter

Documentation of years ago!

Figleaf

Ole, since you are including dirty die errors, you may want to take another look at the missing V shown in the OP.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.