News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Muhammad bin Tughluq, 2 gani?

Started by capnbirdseye, September 26, 2012, 04:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbirdseye

Muhammad bin Tughluq, I think this is G/G D382 2 gani  a nice example with elongated calligraphy, is part of the date readable around the circle?

3.52g
Vic

Oesho

Agree, D382, but the essential parts of the date are of the flan.

THCoins

Old thread, found using the search option.
Tye (T#448) and G&D (D0382) give two known dates for this type: 732 and 741, written in Persian words in the margin around "Muhammad Tughluq".
Although parts of the margin are off flan, i am almost certain that the specimen shown above is the 741 version.

For once, if we compare this coin with others clearly dated 732 on Zeno, like this one, the style is different. Most clearly, there are a lot more diacritic marks around the center text.
Specimen clearly dated 741 are missing on Zeno. I do not know whether these may be a bit scarcer ? However, the parts of the margin visible in the specimen above already allow an attribution to this date. At the bottom of the margin is "Hafsad" for 700. This should be followed either by "30" or "40".
As seen on Zeno, the "See" of 30 has a straight lower horizontal line extending right. This in contrast to the frament of the word seen in the specimen above. More conclusive, however, is the diacritic dot after the final dal of Hafsad. The 700 word does not need this dot, nor is it needed at the beginning of 30. So per exclusionem, this likely is forty.

These considerations i already made some time ago. But at the time sounded a bit abstract and inconclusive.
Final proof is provided by showing the specimen below (unfortunately overcleaned). At the bottom in the margin again "Hafsad", followed by a dot. the word after this is clearly not "See". Now "40" in modern Persian is  چهل  "Chehel". Here, it looks to be written differently, with an initial "Jim". The fragment of the word after this fits with "Ek" for one. So taken together "Saal Bar Hafsad Jhel Ek", "On the year 741".

Please feel free to challenge my interpretation !

Saikat

Hi,
Here is mine with 732 AH date.
Thanks,
Saikat

THCoins

Thanks for adding the 732 specimen Saikat ! Helps greatly to compare the subtypes.

Anthony

capnbirdseye

Not much I can add other than this one which has the end of the date off flan, however this coin also has all the diacratics
Vic

THCoins

You do know how to pick them with the essential parts off flan Vic ! Also on this one i would argue it is the 741 version.