Here's an interesting one I picked up from Siberia

Started by Zantetsuken, September 23, 2012, 03:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zantetsuken

This a 2 Kopek coin from Siberia, 1763.  It was sold as a 'Novodel', but I seriously doubt this. Krause only lists 1763 issues for the 5 and 10 Kopeks, but not for the lower denominations.  I figure it's either a copy (if originals exists), a modern fantasy, or it's spurious. In either case, it's a nice looking design,and an interesting conversation piece.

SIBERIA (REGIONAL)~2 Kopek 1763

Arminius

Too good to be true.
I remember seeing this type on one of the fakes databases.

:'(

Bimat

Even if it's a fake, it's beauty! :) Hope you didn't pay too much for it. ;)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Afrasi

Quote from: Arminius on September 23, 2012, 04:07:33 PMToo good to be true. :'(

If you are right, these pieces must be original pieces ...  ;D

I think the pice at top of the thread may well be a Novodel.

Zantetsuken

Quote from: Afrasi on September 23, 2012, 06:18:42 PM
If you are right, these pieces must be original pieces ...  ;D

I think the pice at top of the thread may well be a Novodel.

Thanks for posting this. These are common knock-offs for Siberia. Everything looks wrong about them from the edge of the coin, to the weird posture of the sables. I've seen these pop up on Ebay every so often, usually dated 1766 and earlier. I never saw a 'Novodel' in person, so I can't compare the weight and coin design with any of my coins. The coin I have is slightly thinner than a normal issue from this area. Whether Novodels are thinner than general issues, I'm not sure.

Afrasi

As far as I know Novodeli were made by the mints reproducing scarce old coins for collectors, partly with original dies and partly with new made dies. So they are in a strange manner "officially made fakes".  ;)

My bad fakes shown above did cost me 0.25 Euros each.

Zantetsuken

UPDATE! I had a guy from Russia confirm pretty much what I already suspected. There were no 1763 issues for this denomination. At least none official or on record. I figure this is either a modern fantasy, or spurious. I say 'spurious' instead of counterfeit, because you can't counterfeit something that never existed in the first place. Still, it's a nice coin with beautiful detailing, chestnut brown patina and luster to boot.